MS250 or MS350 what would be the "best" choice!?

Solved
YoinkZ
Here to help

MS250 or MS350 what would be the "best" choice!?

Hi all,

I am about to purchase new switches for one of my offices and I was initially offered some C9200L units, which I have running in some other offices. Meanwhile we started to migrate to Meraki, both Firewalls and also Wireless. So I thought I would give a Meraki switch a try, but I don't want to make any "downgrades", compared to the C9200L which has been rock solid and performed very well.

I was mainly looking at the MS250 model, to get the layer 3 feature (compared to MS220) which would be needed in some cases. But then I also started to look at the MS350 model.

Now I'm confused, which model would you prefer and why?

Does the MS350 have the same horsepower as the MS250 or is there a difference of how much it can switch internally, stack speed etc.?

What about features, are they the exact same as well?

Thank you 🙂

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've been tending to go with the MS250 - because it is cheaper.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Edited....

There are some small differences, one of which is that the MS 250 supports 80Gb  stack while the 350 supports 160Gb.

Take a look at the datasheet and see what suits you best.

https://meraki.cisco.com/product-collateral/ms-family-datasheet/

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Hey,

Thanks for the link, but it says physical + virtual on both, when I look at stacking capabilities?

Nevertheless, am I right that the C9200L stacking bandwidth support is 80 Gbps, like the MS250 while the MS350 is 160 Gbps?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

IMG_20231012_153739.jpg

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

But how is that divided on the MS250 and MS350 then?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't understand your question but this is a decision you must make, I would go with the 250, but it's up to you to decide.

Here is a little more information.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Layer_3_Switching_and_Routing

I'm sorry, I don't know how I can ask in a better way. I was just curious if the bandwidth got divided if x amount was stacked or something like that. But overall it seems that they are pretty equivalent.

But thank you for your help and suggestion :).

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What office uses that kind of bandwidths. Unless you have lots of servers onsite(in a office?). But nowedays most services you get from the cloud. 

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

250 can stack.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

👍

The data sheet does say that, but it also says that both models have the same stacking hardware. which is two 40g ports. Switch vendors sometimes list bandwidth numbers in their marketing as doubled, for example, counting each 10g port as 20g, because it is full duplex, and 10g in each direction is 20g. It seems that they are doing that for the MS350, counting the two 40g ports as 80g each, for a total of 160g. Is this the case, or is there some other way that the MS350 can provide 160g of stacking with two 40g ports?

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@YoinkZ 

Inderdeep_0-1697136836484.png

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

So basically you get more stacking power and then there is something about the maximum routing clients. Is that really it. Is the MS250 and MS350 running on the same hardware as C9200L?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We don't have that kind of detail. In this case, it would be a good idea to consult your Meraki sales representative.

RWelch
Getting noticed

IMG_0984.jpeg

RWelch
Getting noticed

MS350 has more robust routing specs than the MS250

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There aren't that big of differences.

I think that in his case the 250 would work very well.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've been tending to go with the MS250 - because it is cheaper.

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The only thing is cheaper and stable with more customer in their environment @YoinkZ 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels