MS250 Fiber SFP+

SOLVED
jlandky
Here to help

MS250 Fiber SFP+

Fiber newbie here - 

Just had fiber run between our MDF and IDF - Installed Proline SFP 10GB SR but not getting any connectivity between two MS250 switches (Port49). 

Any special port configuration I am missing? 

mdf.JPG

JLand, CMNO
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@jdsilva wrote:

Try swapping the fibres around.

To clarify what @jdsilva is saying - you have two fiber strands, flip them (on the fiber patch panel likely) so they're opposite what they are now. It's likely that you have TX going to TX and RX going to RX right now instead of TX to RX. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@jdsilva wrote:

To clarify what @jdsilva is saying - you have two fiber strands, flip them (on the fiber patch panel likely) so they're opposite what they are now. It's likely that you have TX going to TX and RX going to RX right now instead of TX to RX. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

^^ 
What he said 🙂

Thanks guys - I am in Kentucky and the fiber is in Michigan. I'll have a team member on-site tomorrow to take a look.

Thanks for the quick replies.

JLand, CMNO
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is this using a fibre run?  Is the fibre run multi-mode using OM3 or OM4 fibre?

I should also point out that depending if its a hardware issue support might not help as you are not using Cisco SFP modules. 

Good luck and hopefully its something as simple as whoever terminated the fibres mixed up a pair. 

It is OM3.
JLand, CMNO
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Also it looks like that SFP is designed for multi mode fiber.  Are you sure that is what is running between your MDF and IDF?  Is it possibly single mode?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels