MS225 - VRRP

Solved
tomjansen1
Conversationalist

MS225 - VRRP

Hi,

I am looking to deploy a new MS225-48 stack in a new cab which I wil connect back to a core of 2x MS350s with fibre. I am also looking for redundancy so I was planning to have 2 MS225s stacked and then another 2 as I don't think I can have 4 stacked with 2 as redundant spares - please could you let me know if this is correct ?

Thanks,

Tom

1 Accepted Solution
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

MS225 doesn't support VRRP.

Usually what people do is have at least two switches in an access stack (your MS225's) uplink to the redundant core and have those two uplinks be terminated on different core switches.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

MS225 doesn't support VRRP.

Usually what people do is have at least two switches in an access stack (your MS225's) uplink to the redundant core and have those two uplinks be terminated on different core switches.

@BrechtSchamp is correct, if you're looking to leverage MS warm spare functionality that is available in the MS250 models and above.  Without warm spare on MS225, I would simple set up cross-stack LACP, if you have two MS225 switches A and B in the closet, and two MS350 switches X and Y in the core, then physically stack your 225s, physically stack your 350s, and connect A to X and B to Y to create a 2 or 20G port aggregate.  Then stagger your access devices across switches A and B in such a manner as to maximize fault tolerance if one switch is down.  Meaning if you have lots of APs and phones and cameras for example, don't have a "phone switch" and a "camera switch" and a "wireless switch" but spread all types of devices across all switches to minimize the impact of a single switch failure as it would only impact 1/x of the devices for x switches.

Thanks to you both for clarifying that for me. 4 MS250s is a bit out of our price range so I will definitely be using the option of redundant uplinks to the core.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels