MS225 Port shuts down with third party switch

SOLVED
JordanNolan
Here to help

MS225 Port shuts down with third party switch

We have a Dell Powerconnect switch plugged into one of our ports on a Meraki MS225.  Throughout the day the port on the Meraki MS225 where the Dell is plugged in will shutdown/disable.  Years ago when I was using Cisco Catalyst switches I recall having to disable a setting on the ports with 3rd party switches.  What would that be on the Meraki MS225?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to the port settings in Switch | Switch Ports and disable both RSTP and STP guard.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Raj66
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @JordanNolan Do you BPDU guard enabled on that port by any chance?

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it

STP Guard is set to Disabled (default)

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

it says nothing is connected or does the port give you a message? any logging on both devices related to this event that you can share with us?

is it a trunk port or a access port?

The port is Trunk. I catch it intermittently so I do not see if the port is dark on the dashboard or anything.  It just acts as though it is turned off:

Here are some logs.  Same thing over and over:

Jul 9 07:07:42 Port STP change
Port 8 disabled→designated
Jul 9 07:07:42 Port status change
port: 8, old: down, new: 1Gfdx
Jul 9 07:07:37 Port STP change
Port 8 designated→disabled
Jul 9 07:07:37 Port status change
port: 8, old: 1Gfdx, new: down
Jul 9 07:07:33 Port STP change
Port 8 disabled→designated
Jul 9 07:07:33 Port status change
port: 8, old: down, new: 1Gfdx
Jul 9 07:07:29 Port STP change
Port 8 designated→disabled

That seems like the port is flapping. Can you try a different cable or different port on both sides and see if the problem still exists?

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it

Hi Raj,

Was still an issue.  Patch cables tested OK on both a meter and through the console.  

Go to the port settings in Switch | Switch Ports and disable both RSTP and STP guard.

I will give that a try and see if it stablizes

CWK_Rob
Getting noticed

I had the same issue and disable RSTP and RSTP Guard resolved it. 

I had a remote switch connected through an ISP provided L2 circuit, managed by their Cisco switch.  Uplink was up/down frequently.  Disabling RSTP on the remote switch's Uplink port stabilized things.  Should I also disbale RSTP on the core-side switch port?

CWK_Rob
Getting noticed

I had the same issue and disable RSTP and RSTP Guard resolved it. 

I had a remote switch connected through an ISP provided L2 circuit, managed by their Cisco switch.  Uplink was up/down frequently.  Disabling RSTP on the remote switch's Uplink port stabilized things.  Should I also disbale RSTP on the core-side switch port?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels