MS210 24P SFP Ports Not Connecting

SOLVED
MCITDept
Getting noticed

MS210 24P SFP Ports Not Connecting

We have two MS210-24P switches set up in a stack.  I currently have an MS320-24 with SFP to a MS120-24P SFP working for a long time.  I need to move the SFP connection from the MS320 to the newly added MS210 stack.  I have purchased Cisco SFP modules for both ends, and the switches do see the SFP modules, but no connection. 

The same fiber and modules will work in the MS320, but will not work in either of the stacked MS210 switches.  I have checked and flipped the fiber connections, still no go.  I have tried different SFP ports on both MS210's, still no go.  I can put the module and fiber back to the MS320 and it will connect. 

I have looked over all my settings and cannot find anything so far that should prevent this from working.  After looking online in the forum I did find there is an issue with certain firmware not initializing the SFP module, but it seems to be on my switches, at least it names them and shows the serial number for each.  I am on firmware 15.2 for all of the switches, could the firmware be the issue here?  Any other suggestions to try?

Thank you.

MCITdept 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

15.2 is an old deprecated beta. So, I would start by upgrading to either the last stable or beta and see if the issue persists.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

15.2 is an old deprecated beta. So, I would start by upgrading to either the last stable or beta and see if the issue persists.

OK, will try the upgrade to latest firmware and report back in a little while. Thank you.

After upgrading the switches to 15.10 the SFP ports now work.  Thank you rymiles.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In 15.4 there is a bugfix, not sure if this is your problem   , but i would try run latest 14.x or 15.x fw.

MS210/225/250/350/355/410/425 series switches may be unable to initialize 1Gbps SFP modules. Current, only some MA-SFP-1GB-SX modules are in scope (present since MS 15.0)

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When you say "Cisco SFP" models, do you mean "Cisco Meraki SFP" modules - or do you mean Cisco Enterprise SFP modules?

You can check the SFP compatibility guide to check that the part number for your SFP is listed as compatible with the MS210.

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_sfp.pdf 

It is the model that is listed on the Meraki datasheet you link to.  They are sold as Cisco SFPs now that is what it says on the box they came in.  It is the MA-SFP-1GB-SX, and they are not cheap, but now I have some, as well as others we use, so if I have an issue, I can put a supported model on each end of the connection.  The firmware upgrade fixed the issue.  Thank you to all for your help.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels