MS-220-8P / MS 12.28SW : No LAN activity lights ?

Thygesen
Building a reputation

MS-220-8P / MS 12.28SW : No LAN activity lights ?

Hi all You razor-sharp Meraki's .. 

I have a MS220-8P upgraded a week ago and since haven't had any light in "LAN Activity" LED's.

The link is green and fine .. dash-board says everything is go .. 

But .. I get strange outages (every 5min packets are dropped) that causes my WebEx and Teams calls to drop out send/receive. I have talked to the ISP, that claims nothing is wrong.

Setup: ISP 100/100 -> MX64 WAN, P1-> MS220-8p P1-> MR33 and legacy Cisco stuff

Troubleshooting form the MX says all good on the uplink. A little packet loss but 0.3-0.6%, odd prolonged ping response but nothing alarming.

Any ideas ?

With Highest regards

Thyge

9 REPLIES 9
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi @Thygesen 

Just to confirm if this is firmware issue -

Is it possible for you to roll-back and observe the network - (If you have already not done this?)

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Thygesen
Building a reputation

🙂 I just wanted to hear if anybody else had seen the missing activity lights first .. 

Home office users (and students) are placed behind this switch, so disruption will be frowned upon (wife and kids).

The Meraki-Support is not leaping to the keyboard, I can see, and before They have had a chance to look the switch over, I can't change the setup .. That would be most unfair .. 🙂

But that would be a step .. In the same environment a MS120-8 is running the same SW and spinning like a cat with lots of activity lights .. I suspect either a SW "Feature" or a damaged switch ..

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Thygesen I don't remember ever seeing flicking lights for activity, my MS220-8P is running 14.5 and I have the left had light green on each port to indicate connection and the right hand one yellow on the ports where PoE is in use.  Is that what you have?

Thygesen
Building a reputation

Hi @cmr .. 

I know for a fact that one of the ports are doing PoE for my AP (11.2Watt) .. 

But neither the orange lamp is on nor do the dashboard show any PoE usage !! VERY STRANGE !! 

I have another similar AP on a 120-8 and is has the orange light on, and show lightning on the dashboard / 11.2W usage.

Maybe the MS220 just got mad at us ?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Thygesen have you tried turning it off and on again 😉

Thygesen
Building a reputation

@cmr 😁 Yessir! .. 

Done all the troubleshooting we learned at CMNA, ECMS1+2 .. 

I will be embarrassed if I did some footwork error in this and the Meraki Support points fingers at me ..

(I know the won't .. highly skilled in people management, I will be the first to mention!!)

What worries me most is that the PoE does now show up in the dashboard, even though the AP is working drawing power and all .. no flash/green-status (only green), no PoE reading on the status, but the AP LED is on, the AP transmitting and the port in the switch show steady green left LED as only indication. 

Well .. I guess that some explanation will present itself at some point 🙂

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've also had misbehaving ports after firmware-upgrades. Some of them started to work normally after a full reset, some switches were replaced by Meraki.

Thygesen
Building a reputation

@KarstenI Whew! Thanx Karsten .. 
Now I know that I'm not dehydrated or likewise .. 

Do You by any chance have a case# or ref I can relay to the support guys ?

Thygesen
Building a reputation

Hm .. Seems that the RMA was maybe related to other issues 😞

I have placed the device in quarantine though .. 

Any other ideas ?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels