Looking for info regarding switch fan noises

SOLVED
ShaneMartin
Comes here often

Looking for info regarding switch fan noises

Hi All,

I've read some posts about noisy switches, but this post isn't about that issue.

I'm trying to get a good idea of how loud the Meraki switch fans actually are (when operating normally).

Specifically, we are looking at rolling out MS225-24P (PoE model) as endpoints. The issue we have is that some comms cabinets are located in small staff offices - so noise is a major issue.

Does anyone have these switches and can give me an idea of how noisy they are?

I've been told several things from multiple sales people:

1. They are always on full and loud
  2. They step between 2 speeds - "low and not as noisy, but still noisy" and "high and very noisy"
  3. They run at multiple variable rates so are generally quiet unless they get hot and the fan speeds up

Thanks,

Shane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Dashboard_DJ
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

The fans on the MS225s are moderately noisy. I don't have dbA info, but they're one of the loudest access-layer switches in the lineup.

If noise is a significant concern, then the new MS120 or MS250 platforms are much quieter.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Dashboard_DJ
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

The fans on the MS225s are moderately noisy. I don't have dbA info, but they're one of the loudest access-layer switches in the lineup.

If noise is a significant concern, then the new MS120 or MS250 platforms are much quieter.

I agree with @Dashboard_DJ.  You would not want to be sitting close to a MS225 and working in an office.

Thanks for the info!

Rolling out a large number of switches and upgrading to a Layer 3 switch (MS225 to MS250) just because of fan noise wouldn't justify the price hike.

I'll likely go with the MS225-24 (non-PoE) model which is fanless - and just have a bunch of PoE injectors hanging off it.

Thanks,

Shane

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@ShaneMartin Are you sure about the MS225-24 (non-PoE) being fanless? I'm pretty sure all of the MS225's have a single blower style fan that is quite loud as others have said. They are also essentially not speed variable and run at ~80% speed all the time. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MRCURthey are definitely fanless.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/switches/ms225-48#tech-specs

"MS225-24, MS225-48 feature fanless operation"

In response to your comment here.... Wondering if anybody has gone to a replacement 48 port switch like the MS250-HWLP48 or even the MS350 and if so is the fan noise better? Is it acceptable?   I want to swap some that are adjacent to some office space and need them to be quieter than the MS225s.   Are you saying a MS250-49 would be acceptable in an office space (the switch in a closet) but still near workers.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@Charlie The MS250 and 350 lines are significantly quieter than the 225 line. The 350 has hot swappable fans which are the same type used in modern Cisco access switches. The 250 line isn't hot swappable but doesn't use a single large blower like the 225 line. 

I had a 250 sitting on my desk for a few months without any problem. Sitting next to a stack of 225's while setting them up is like sitting in a wind tunnel. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Charlie
Getting noticed

Thanks for the feedback!  I have a two-switch stack next to me (lab type of setup) and can only turn them on for about an hour at a time before I want to spin up The Geto Boys on Youtube and beat the daylights out of it.  Thanks again for the feedback cause I really need to get about 10 for use in some key locations but did not want to buy one just to see if it was just as loud.  This helps out considerably. 

CBnet
Conversationalist

I'd agree that the MS250 is much quieter than the MS225, and have MS250s in more noise sensitive areas.  I will say the 250 is loud when first booting, but quiets down once up.

kredmore
Getting noticed

This topic comes up enough that it would be beneficial for Meraki to include some information in the specs.  There are different types of fans, software is involved, some power supplies have fans, some fans are removable, noise levels, etc.

It would really help if the datasheets for all Meraki equipment gave environmental specifications, audible and power draw (PoE dependent in some cases).

If you look at how data centres have improved their energy efficiency, it is amazing. Mobiles and laptops manage their energy consumption better all the time. Network kit manufacturers appear not to be fully engaged in this issue.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
redsector
Head in the Cloud

I made cases for my switches which are doing high/low fan speed.

Merkai sent me new switches and now the fan speed is good.

regards

LivintheDream
Here to help

Hi Shane,

i had a similar issue and was lucky that we had some acoustics engineers who worked for us, they took some measurements "in real world" in an open plan office with switches in a rack (they type you would put in a smaller offices), the link below will give you a good idea of the noise levels and what is considered an acceptable Db in an open office.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Switching/Are-MS225-loud-fans-fixed/m-p/13765#M1137

hope it's useful

thanks

Mark

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels