LACP Channel Monitoring

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

LACP Channel Monitoring

I've configured a 4 interface LACP channel.

What I can't figure out is how you monitor the channel to verify that all 4 interfaces have actually been negotiated with the other end and placed into a channel.

Anyone know how to do that?

Screenshot from 2018-01-05 19-19-30.png

19 REPLIES 19
redsector
Head in the Cloud

I am also interested in that.

And is it possible to send an automatic mail to admins when one of these links are down?

Have a look at this video. After aggregating the ports together, click on details of the aggregated link. Once in the aggregated link page you'll be able to see the ports in the aggregated group and the ones which are up and in use. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=ddaY1p1VcNE

In regards to email alerts, I don't think there's the ability to specifically set alerts on aggregated ports. However, if you set standard switch port email alerts, this would apply to the aggregated ports.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

That only shows you the ports you have configured in the channel, and not the ports which have been negotiated to be in the channel with the remote device.

ps. I am aggregating across a switch stack - so it doesn't even show you all the ports that are up in one place.

This is what I see.  I also don't like the "no ports in use".

ps. This one particular port channel goes to a Cisco Enterprise switch - so I happen to know from that all interfaces are correctly negotiated in the channel.  But I have lots of other channels that don't go to Cisco Enterprise switches that I also want to be able to check from the Meraki side.

Screenshot from 2018-01-05 19-30-33.png

That is rather strange, was aggregation created before physical connection? The only thing that springs to mind would be to check the local status page of that Switch.

I assume the speed negotiation should be shown and ports in use. I wonder if this has anything to do with the bring up of the aggregation.

@MilesMeraki all ports have been bounced after creating the LACP channel. In some cases, entire switches have been power cycled.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth What you're seeing is likely a bug, but one I see all the time. That spot is the only place I've found to see what the LAG status is, and as you're seeing, the status is generally inaccurate. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MRCUR I have opened a case with support. I'll see what they say.

@PhilipDAth Keep us updated 🙂

I am having the same problem when connecting to a switch stack.  Any word back from support on this?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nothing useful yet.  I have it as a "low priority" case, so it hasn't had much attention.

I just had the official response back from Meraki Support.

If you want to verify a LACP channel has actually been negotiated ... you need to perform a packet capture of the LACP packets to verify the negotiation.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth Hahaha, that's a classic response. "We didn't actually build in any way to verify this is working, so go do this very technical thing and verify it yourself."

Time for some wishes to be made I guess. @MerakiDave can you make this a FR? 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

Thanks @PhilipDAth.  Hopefully they give us something we can monitor a little more proactively in the future. I have a case open specifically addressing the "no ports in use" showing under the port's "aggregation group".  I will let you know if I get a different response.

@MRCUR agreed I will look into it and create or add to an FR if one already exists.  @PhilipDAth private message me your case # and I'll follow up with the MS team and reference your case and link it with an FR.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

I upgraded a network of MS225's & MS425's to 9.36 last night. The Dashboard LACP status is still completely broken. On all of the core switch (stacked MS425's) aggregates, I see "No ports in use". Most of the MS225's also say the same thing, or they'll occasionally report that one of two ports is in use. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 9.28.46 AM.png

MRCUR | CMNO #12
cnelson
Comes here often

I opened a case with Meraki on this and they stated that "it is an issue with Dashboard, but the channels should work correctly behind the scenes".  Same setup with MS425s and MS225's for access layer.  

They said there would be an update at some point to fix it but sadly no ETA.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

It would be really nice if the MS team could get their s*** together. What a mess. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels