Is anybody used 100FX SFP transceiver on Meraki Switches..?

NirenVekaria
Comes here often

Is anybody used 100FX SFP transceiver on Meraki Switches..?

I understand that Meraki Portfolio doesn't have 100FX SFP transceiver but anybody tried to use any 3rd party SFPs and get it working..? I have few requirements of 100FX in my environment and looking for options. I tried Cisco GLC-GE-100FX= but it is not working.

Best Regards,

Niren

10 REPLIES 10
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

I have not tried, but if the Cisco modules aren't working that doesn't bode well for 3rd party transceivers to work. 

I know it might not be ideal, but you could use 100Base-FX media converters instead. 

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Used many third party sfps in the Meraki switches with no issues.  If however you run into problems in the future and raise a case with support they will ask you to replace it with a Meraki one.

If the sfp you’re using doesn’t show up and Meraki don’t make one....I think there’s your answer

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

I understand the risk associated with it in using the 3rd party. Could you please give me details of 3rd party which you used with Meraki Switches. We are using mainly MS210, MS250 and MS120-8ports switches.

KRobert
Head in the Cloud

I have used HummingBird Networks and CableMatters SFP adapters multiple times with MS Switches. the Cable Matters seem to work best. I have found that some adapters don't fit quite right in the MS switches compared to Cisco Catalyst switches. I think the best bet is buy a few off amazon and trial and error the different versions for which work the best.
CMNO, CCNA R+S
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you *really* need to use 100BaseFX - or could you upgrade the remote end (such as with an MS120-8 or a media converter) to Gigabit?

Brons2
Building a reputation

While I don't use 100FX, I do use all 3rd party transceivers - AddOn brand.  https://addonnetworks.com/

They work fine and cost 1/3 of what the Meraki branded ones cost.

KRobert
Head in the Cloud

If you are looking for a 10GB SFP to 10GB SFP cable, these are cheap and work great!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071KWNFP3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CMNO, CCNA R+S
Brons2
Building a reputation

Dang, Krobert!  That's cheap!

My management paid quite a bit more for those.  Oh well wasn't my money, nor did I get to select the vendor.

KRobert
Head in the Cloud

When I looked at the MSRP of some cables I was sticker shocked! Amazon almost always comes in for the win.
CMNO, CCNA R+S
denekez
Comes here often

Did you ever find a SFP to work on these?  I need some for cameras we have and didn't know if you found a solution or not.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels