IPv6 Auto Configuration for switch management address

Zilla
Getting noticed

IPv6 Auto Configuration for switch management address

Anyone else run across this scenario yet?

We have an "unrouted" VLAN with an ISP device and the WAN ports of our MX warm spare pair connected to the same MS350 switch. Those are the only ports in the VLAN.  The MS350 is not L3 enabled.

Because the ISP is dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 the switch has used IPv6 Auto configure to grab a global IPv6 unicast address.  Since this is a full Meraki network the switch is the only IPv6 device at the site.

How can I make the switch stop talking IPv6 on the unrouted VLAN?

12 REPLIES 12
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Can you give it a static IPv4?

For whatever reason, I didn't think Meraki equipment supported IPv6 yet but I probably just didn't see the update. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Zilla
Getting noticed

Yes, it has a static IPv4 address on our network management VLAN (which is the same VLAN as the one specified in Switch > Switch settings).

The IPv6 address it picked up is on another VLAN.  

In the dashboard it shows the IPv6 address.  My only options for IPv6 management address are AutoConfigure and static.  The auto configure choice has no options (i can't tell it what VLAN to use).

There is no off mode.

I did open a case with Meraki, but so far nothing useful has come out of it.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Would you mind posting a screenshot or two to help explain?  I'm not following where this is showing up exactly.  

Zilla
Getting noticed

Switch Page2.png

Above is the sanitized view when you click on the switch in the dashboard.

IPv6 Menu2.png

Above is the view of the Auto configuration menu.  No other options.

Static IPv6 Address Assignment menuStatic IPv6 Address Assignment menu

Above is the menu when you pick Static IPv6 assignment.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Thanks that helps.  So it looks like your static IPv4 is VLAN 10 and that IPv6 is getting DHCP from VLAN 2?  Do you happen to have a topology you can share?  Conceptually the trunk port on the switch should have a native VLAN set and then allowed VLANs.  As long as the native VLAN isn't 2 you should be fine.  Maybe make the native 10 and just have 2 in the allowed?  Sorry trying to help the best I can here with limited visibility. 

Zilla
Getting noticed

Basically, all the hosts in VLAN 2 are on this switch. So trunking to other switches isn't an issue.

One of the 3 devices in VLAN 2 has IPv6 connectivity and the switch AutoConfiged and is trying to talk to Meraki on that VLAN.  This is not desired. I'm not sure why the switch even tried to auto discover IPv6 when it has IPv4 connectivity.

At this point, no IPv6 connectivity for management is better than any IPv6 connectivity.   I want to turn off IPv6 management, but i don't see where i can do it.

MatsLarson
Here to help

I'm seeing the same thing on some of my switches. Still doesn't seem to be a way to prevent this, or at the very least set the VLAN for 'auto' to something unused upstream so it never gets a reply.

Mike-K
Conversationalist

I am also running into this issue. The unfortunate part is the auto IP is on our internet VLAN. Any updates on how to turn off IPv6 for management?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've complained about the same issue, as @Mike-K states above, some of our switches are getting a IPv6 address on either a public internet VLAN or even a real public IP address that isn't behind a firewall at one site!

ssbg
Conversationalist

Same issue here... Hear anything new from support? Considering filing my own case.

Mike-K
Conversationalist

Support was not helpful. I literally said SOL. We had to go the route of getting IPv6 disabled on all our connections to remove the IP. That is a process in an of itself.

Mike-K
Conversationalist

I wanted to add additional information for others. Meraki's official stance is to work with the ISP/upstream router to disable IPv6. We are still trying to work with the multiple ISPs we have, but some are easier than others to have this disabled as most are dual stack.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels