How to change port priority for STP?

Solved
NadiaK
Here to help

How to change port priority for STP?

Is it possible to change switch port priority for STP?

I found only bridge priority configuration which affect to root-bridge election.

But I would like affect to root-port election. 

Some network equipment allows to change port priority, but I don't see this possibility for MS-120.

Can I do it?

Thank you in advance

1 Accepted Solution
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Changing the bridge priority on the switch is the only STP customisation you can do, effectively ensuring you can choose the root bridge. You can’t change individual port priorities.

What is the reason you need to do this?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Changing the bridge priority on the switch is the only STP customisation you can do, effectively ensuring you can choose the root bridge. You can’t change individual port priorities.

What is the reason you need to do this?

Thank you for your answer.

> What is the reason you need to do this?

To control traffic path and avoid situation like this (I had it without any physical issues with links and ports):

Screenshot from 2021-04-22 16-57-25.png

Unfortunately I cannot configure MX as a root bridge, because "The MX does not run STP in any capacity, and will not exchange BPDUs with other switches or partici...

So I hoped to control my active topology by port priority.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@NadiaK, yep, you are completely correct about the MX. Although the MX doesn’t generate its own BPDUs, it does forward BPDUs that it receives out other ports. You’re limited to how you can influence the traffic flow to just modifying the root bridge priority on the switches.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels