Event logs reporting frequent RSTP events

Solved
bit_transporter
Getting noticed

Event logs reporting frequent RSTP events

Hi all,

We have been noticing numerous RSTP role/status change events in the logs for several of our MS250s. Below is an example of one that occurred within a two-minute window. These event logs come in off-and-on all day on multiple switches.

Odd thing is that no one seems to be reporting any issues, and we noticed this several weeks ago.

So I am wondering are these some type of errant log events or a bug? Perhaps I may not understand what they mean fully, but it shows ports are being disabled many times a day.

I inquired with support about this, and they suggested enabling BPDUguard on the ports, which we did, but it made no difference. If anyone has experienced something similar or if you know what may be occurring here, please let me know. TYVM. 

Edit: We are running firmware 15.21.1

meraki-event-logs.png

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is normal and should be expected with user ports.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If it is a client port, I understand that it is normal if the client keeps disconnecting and connecting to the port.

Can you confirm that it's a user's port? You can review the cables as well.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Thank you. Yes, these are being seen on client ports.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is normal and should be expected with user ports.

Thanks, appreciate the confirmation

Any explanation why its normal? Its kinda flooding the logs if it happens multiple times a second.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Agree with the above in that this is normal behaviour.  Annoying in that it fills the logs though 

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Indeed. Makes it more difficult to see real events. Thanks.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels