Cisco Phone Best Practice?

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Cisco Phone Best Practice?

I'm going to start digging through any articles on the subject, but just curious if anyone has any 'I always do this' when deploying Cisco phones on Meraki gear.

I have a full stack MX/MS using VPN to MX at datacenter

Curious anyone does any specific QoS things for the switch ports (or VPN tunnel etc.)

First time trying this so hopefully it goes well, if I could just get the phone registration to stop spinning lol

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
4 REPLIES 4
Jitender
Here to help

We are using cisco LAN and Wireless phones where we follow below practise:

1. Keep a separate VLAN for Voice traffic

2. Trust incoming DSCP values

3. Set Voice VLAN DSCP to 46--> Class 3 (EF Voice)

if you have Meraki Firewalls as well then create a Rule under Traffic shaping rules to set the DSCP value for Voice VLAN subnet

@Jitender 

Thanks for the reply

For #3 , are you applying that on the switch settings?

I'm curious if this is needed, if your already trusting DSCP, then isn't the cisco phone marking its packets correctly to begin with, so it should naturally pass through the switch with EF already right?

I do have an MX and I have the default QoS applied to the VPN tunnel. Is that adequate or do I need to do it for the entire voice vlan?

55556666.JPG

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

i would suggest to manually put the settings and do not keep default to overcome any voice related issues

MS Settings below

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 1.47.42 PM.png

MX below

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 1.54.18 PM.png

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

There is a KB article and guide that should help too:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/VoIP_on_Cisco_Mer...

Cisco Meraki VoIP Deployment Guide

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels