Change the default route?

GavinMcMenemy
Building a reputation

Change the default route?

Hi All,

Unsure if I am misunderstanding something about the the way you configure routes for VLANS on Meraki MS switches.

I would like to create a number of VLANs. I started adding them and then realised afterwards that the first VLAN I created has a typo. Because it was the first VLAN created it has been created as the default route but I can't seem to alter this or delete.

I'm concerned that there might come a point when I switch routing on and start allocating VLANs that the default route could be wrong.

Sorry if this sounds like a daft question.

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You should be able to just correct the typo.  What happens when you try?

Otherwise just delete that VLAN and create it again.

@PhilipDAth wrote:

You should be able to just correct the typo.  What happens when you try?

Otherwise just delete that VLAN and create it again.

I tried to edit the VLAN and also the default route but I kept getting an error.

I didn't think about deleting everything and starting again. I feel a bit sheepish now... Thanks all.

Quick question before I mark this as resolved.

The frist VLAN I create is the VLAN for "internet" this is where our managed router interface will be. It's actually 2 x Cisco routers. The default gateway will be that router but we have a second router with a different IP (same range) on standby. How do I configure this so that in the primary failing, the secondary becomes the new default?

You could use static route tracking.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Networks_and_Routing/MX_Routing_Behavior#Static_Route_Tracking

If it is a managed service the service provider should be doing something like HSRP for you, making the two routers appear as one.

If this is an Internet service though I don't know what you can't just use the normal WAN ports on the MX.

I know what you mean but that's not how this is setup. It's a warm spare. I'll check in with them .

Ps. we don't have an MX.

Tekrondo
Here to help

Hello @GavinMcMenemy

You can edit the VLANs created by visiting:

Switch > Routing & DHCP (under configure menu) > Select the VLAN 

You should be able to update any typos there.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels