Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change the default route?

Highlighted
Here to help

Change the default route?

Hi All,

Unsure if I am misunderstanding something about the the way you configure routes for VLANS on Meraki MS switches.

I would like to create a number of VLANs. I started adding them and then realised afterwards that the first VLAN I created has a typo. Because it was the first VLAN created it has been created as the default route but I can't seem to alter this or delete.

I'm concerned that there might come a point when I switch routing on and start allocating VLANs that the default route could be wrong.

Sorry if this sounds like a daft question.

5 REPLIES
Kind of a big deal

Re: Change the default route?

You should be able to just correct the typo.  What happens when you try?

Otherwise just delete that VLAN and create it again.

Conversationalist

Hello @GavinMcMenemy

You can edit the VLANs created by visiting:

Switch > Routing & DHCP (under configure menu) > Select the VLAN 

You should be able to update any typos there.

Here to help

@PhilipDAth wrote:

You should be able to just correct the typo.  What happens when you try?

Otherwise just delete that VLAN and create it again.

I tried to edit the VLAN and also the default route but I kept getting an error.

I didn't think about deleting everything and starting again. I feel a bit sheepish now... Thanks all.

Quick question before I mark this as resolved.

The frist VLAN I create is the VLAN for "internet" this is where our managed router interface will be. It's actually 2 x Cisco routers. The default gateway will be that router but we have a second router with a different IP (same range) on standby. How do I configure this so that in the primary failing, the secondary becomes the new default?

Kind of a big deal

You could use static route tracking.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Networks_and_Routing/MX_Routing_Behavior#Static_Route_Tracking

If it is a managed service the service provider should be doing something like HSRP for you, making the two routers appear as one.

If this is an Internet service though I don't know what you can't just use the normal WAN ports on the MX.

Here to help

I know what you mean but that's not how this is setup. It's a warm spare. I'll check in with them .

Ps. we don't have an MX.

Labels