Can't ping computer on network, but computer can get out to internet.

Solved
TroyV
Here to help

Can't ping computer on network, but computer can get out to internet.

I have a computer directly connected to my Meraki switch. This computer has gotten an IP address from the server and can reach out to the internet but I am unable to use the switch to ping 'its IP address nor can I ping with while on VPN. I can ping other devices from VPN that are in that same VLAN. 

I first had the device static, was able to get out but couldn't ping it. Made sure that the firewall settings allowed for ping on this Windows 10 computer. I then moved it to dynamic and it got a different address but am still unable to ping it. VLAN on port is correct along with port settings that match other locations that this is working at. I have tried opening routes but there is no change. I made some firewall adjustments but there is no change.I had it set to a reserved address in Meraki but it wasn't working so I removed it. Set the subnet mask in the IPv4 settings of the computer to /16 but then the computer was not able to get out to the internet. Restarted all devices. Can ping the device while connected to the same switch as device. I don't believe that this is network related as I am able to ping other devices within that VLAN.

I am unable to think of what else I can do at this point. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried disabling the Windows firewall? It can be the antivirus blocking.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried disabling the Windows firewall? It can be the antivirus blocking.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

No, I can give this a try, thank you.

Even though the rules were set to allow for the needed traffic to pass, disabling the firewall and antivirus was the key winner here. Thank you all for your responses.

@TroyV  I wouldn't disable the firewall just to fix this issue, you need to allow inbound ICMP traffic. Doing that will allow you to ping said device while having it's firewall active. Just make sure you select the correct rule for your network type i.e. private, domain or public

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 11.49.48 AM.png

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I back @alemabrahao .  Either Windows firewall, or some third party antivirus software (such as antimalware).

My second guess would be a wrong netmask.  The client VPN and VLAN subnets should not overlap, and (in most cases) should be 255.255.255.0.

Alinah
Comes here often

You should turn off the VPN and antivirus, Or you can try with a paid VPN.

Alinah
Comes here often

Try Disabling Your Third-Party Antivirus and Change Your VPN.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels