Devices showing on wrong switch

JonP
Getting noticed

Devices showing on wrong switch

Hi gang,

Some of our devices are showing as attached to the wrong switch and switchport in the Dashboard. This only seems to be effecting devices on a VLAN other than the default/main VLAN.

I'm trying to troubleshoot a VoIP issue however the Meraki dashboard says that the phones are directly connected to the core switch stack, (which is operating at L3) via an aggregation port (AGGR/0).

This is definitley not correct, as the only things connected to our core stack are servers.

JonP_0-1680268431864.png

We are tracking via Unique Client Identifier as we have a downstream MX which is also at L3.

If we change to MAC tracking, will that fix our topology issues?

4 REPLIES 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Probably yes, the IP address track is just for non-Meraki L3 devices.

alemabrahao_0-1680270711969.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
ibrennan
Comes here often

We have the same exact problem, and it's really annoying.  Most of our clients are showing our core switch (a Meraki layer 3 we have configured as our core switch) which seems to be the same setup as OP.  We also have our IDF switches all connected with LACP link aggregation which you seem to also have setup.  I opened a case about this issue but have not received any response in over 5 days now.

The documentation is pretty clear that unique client identifier is the correct option for all Meraki networks.  If we switch to track my MAC the MX is not going to be able to see any of the IPs of the clients on the core switch.

JonP
Getting noticed

Yeah, this is still a problem for us. Some of it is correct, but a lot of devices connected to switches downstream of the core are showing as directly connected to it. Interestingly, looking at the topology screen it appears to be correct, but when looking at the clients screen, or drilling down into the clients themselves their connections are incorrect.

ibrennan
Comes here often

I think the problem is unique to situations where you have link aggregation to the core switch.  I've seen a few other posts online about this issue, and all have AGGR/XYZ ports showing for the client.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels