Branch LAN network with Meraki

SOLVED
MerakiNetwork
Conversationalist

Branch LAN network with Meraki

Hi,

We have HA branch network with two Cisco router having WAN links each for connectivity to home office and for redundancy. We are planning to replace C4500 closet switch with 4 Meraki MS390 switches. Would like to seek suggestions on switches stack design. Which option would be more reliable, and provides highavaibilty and meaningful ?

1.  2 x MS390 in a stack connecting to primary router.

2.  2 x MS390 in a stack connecting to secondary router 

or

4 x MS390 in a stack connecting to primary & secondary router.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MS390 is famous for its bugs and issues.  Personally, I would use any other model except that one.

If the branch is not 24x7 (so you can have a scheduled window for doing the firmware updates) I would use a single stack of 4 switches.  Simplest design.  Less chance of spanning loops and issues.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MerakiNetwork : technically no issues using the stack with either of the option. I would go with Option 1 and 2.

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MS390 is famous for its bugs and issues.  Personally, I would use any other model except that one.

If the branch is not 24x7 (so you can have a scheduled window for doing the firmware updates) I would use a single stack of 4 switches.  Simplest design.  Less chance of spanning loops and issues.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'd agree with @PhilipDAth that you go for one stack unless you cannot tolerate 2-3 minutes downtime when you need to do a firmware upgrade.  However unless you need the advanced feature license then please don't go for MS390s, just take a look at the latest release notes posted here recently to see how many parts of the code aren't finished yet.

Thank you very much all for your comments.

I think that branch does not work 24x7and therefore we can tolerate some down time when it comes to upgrading the switches software. Also stacking 4 switches seems to be a good idea to keep it simple. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels