Assign Static IP Issues

SOLVED
american_nisei
Getting noticed

Assign Static IP Issues

I have a full Meraki stack with a MX-100 and three MS-225s.  I want to assign a static IP to the each of the switches and for some reason, it keeps defaulting back to a DHCP address in VLAN 1.  Any thoughts?

~Doug

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarkW
Here to help

I've found depending on how your ports are setup (Trunk / Access) and vlans assigned, you may need to leave the vlan field empty when assigning a static IP.

So, if you Vlan1 is the default and you're on a trunk port - I need to leave the VLAN number off of the WAPs, and leave the field blank actually.   

On the Switches I do have the VLAN1 (or whatever is correct) in the IP assignment.  

This has frustrated me before, since the error isn't specific to say 'bad VLAN' or something more descriptive...  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Hello Doug,

Take a look at this article - https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Bad_IP_Assignment_Configuration. My assumptions is that you're either putting in the incorrect default gateway or alternatively if you're using the Native VLAN for management don't bother with putting in VLAN information for the static assignment.

Hopefully this helps you out - Let me know how you get on.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It will default back to using DHCP if it can not contact the cloud using the statically assigned IP address.

In the Meraki world - I can't think of a reason why you would want the management IP to be statically assigned assuming that DHCP is available ...

@PhilipDAth 

Your superiority of the DHCP "meraki world" is noted.  Some people need static management IPs for third party monitoring tools such as solarwinds etc!

I'm currently facing a challenge with this. A customer needs to put Mx65 on it's network for a Demo but the MX is not connecting because there is a firewall in place that's blocking it.

How can we give the MX a STATIC IP that will be allowed on the firewall???

-Michael-
Here to help

If you want the IP to stay the same you can allocate a fixed IP address under the DHCP portion of the Security Appliance.

If you want a truly static IP you need to make sure that address can reach the internet. A good test would be to give your own laptop the address, plug in via Ethernet and try to ping google (8.8.8.8). 

MarkW
Here to help

I've found depending on how your ports are setup (Trunk / Access) and vlans assigned, you may need to leave the vlan field empty when assigning a static IP.

So, if you Vlan1 is the default and you're on a trunk port - I need to leave the VLAN number off of the WAPs, and leave the field blank actually.   

On the Switches I do have the VLAN1 (or whatever is correct) in the IP assignment.  

This has frustrated me before, since the error isn't specific to say 'bad VLAN' or something more descriptive...  

MarkW,
Thank you very much!

Glad it work for ya!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels