Any issues with 10.29 ?

SOLVED
redsector
Head in the Cloud

Any issues with 10.29 ?

Hi,

I want to update my switches (many MS-8P and MS220 and MS225, some are stacked) from 10.6. to 10.29.

I want to remove some stacking issues and I like to have the UDLD and the spanning-tree guard  feature.

Are there any experiences with that update?

Thank you

Markus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Wanted to do the updates last week from 10.6 to 10.29 while the 10.30 was arriving. So I changed my schedules to 10.30 beta. And while upgrading to 10.30 the status changed from beta to stable release candidate. This quick changes where pleasantly surprising me.

But now in the end everything is working well with 10.30

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Ben
A model citizen

I have stacked switches on MS 10.26 and it's working fine, no experience with stacks on 10.29 but I would say try 1 and revert to 10.26 if you have got issues. 

For the unstacked switches, i'de say go for it.

I'm usually running latest firmware and very often beta firmware in our office network and have had no issues so far.

cheers,

Ben

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I wa running 10.26 for quite a while without issue.  I upgraded to 10.29 earlier this week and so far no issues - but that is not much time.

We tried to upgrade two sites from 9.37 to 10.26 

LACP does not seem to work - creates spanning tree loops

Have not tried 10.29

redsector
Head in the Cloud

Yes, while upgrading from 9.x to 10.x we had some spanning-tree loops too. It was with stacks.

But after this all the upgrades were working fine. 10.x has some nice features and spanning-tree configs that I can use. And it´s more stable in the end.

So, now I did update 7 of our 8 networks. The last one I will do in two weeks when the other networks are doing well.

Wanted to do the updates last week from 10.6 to 10.29 while the 10.30 was arriving. So I changed my schedules to 10.30 beta. And while upgrading to 10.30 the status changed from beta to stable release candidate. This quick changes where pleasantly surprising me.

But now in the end everything is working well with 10.30

I upgraded all my networks to 10.30 and am completely happy with it...

Everything running stable, no problems until now.

Here's what I know

10.30 seems to work well with edge stacks - for example MS225

It has a lot of fixes

However, it has some serious issues when used iin an environment that has MS-425s as the  L-3 Stack and Dual LACP Links from MS-255 distributed edge sw to  a MS-425 L3 stack

From what I can determine after several sessions with TAC the last few days - Multicast was broke in this release and I would not recommend using it - especially if you have dual LACP Links

The 425 stack seems to have excessive CPU utilization and becomes very unstable (random reboots, etc.) - until I disabled Multicast and the 2nd Link of all LACP Uplinks

Has associated Spanning tree issues

If you are running LACP Links to edge stacks, connectivity is intermittent - for example, WAPs attached to Edge Stacks will randomly disconnect from Cloud - Overall network throughput will be  bad  - pinging the Net Management IP of the 425 Stack will result in dropped pings and high latency

It seems that Legacy Cisco switches running LACP Uplinks and connected to a MS425 Stack -  work well

I set up the LACP Links on the Legacy Cisco as follows:

interface GigabitEthernet0/51
description UPLINK-TO-MDF-425-16-CORE-STK
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 1 mode active
spanning-tree bpdufilter enable
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/52
description UPLINK-TO-MDF-425-16-CORE-STK
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 1 mode active
spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

I used the bpdufilter enable because the 425 doesn't run legacy Cisco STP (pvst, etc.)

This seems to work well

I have been told that the developers are aware of these issues and are working on fixes

Having said that, I was able to make a couple of networks stable at 10.30 by only using a single uplink from the Edge stacks (NO LACP) and disabling Multicast Routing in the 425 Stack

If you need multicast - then I don't think 10.30 is for you

If you need Multicast and or LACP - look at 9.37

If you don't need these or you are not using a MS425 stack as the core then 10.30 seems to work pretty well

Lotsa fixes - but needs more

I have been told they are working on these issues

Good luck

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels