Adding an already provisioned switch to a stack

SOLVED
Silas1066
Getting noticed

Adding an already provisioned switch to a stack

I have a Meraki switch that is already provisioned and connected to the cloud. It has its own IP (static) and configuration. Right now, it is trunked to another switch stack.

I want to add this individual switch to an existing stack (with the stacking cables).

Are there issues with doing this? What will happen to the configuration?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, each switch will keep the own IP-address.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Adam
Kind of a big deal

So the switch is already in the same network with the switch you want to stack it with?  You are just wanting to create the stack?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Silas1066
Getting noticed

There are 3 switches. Two are in a stack, and the third is trunked to them from a different room.

I want to take that third switch and add it to the stack, but that switch does have configuration on it (ports, IP address, etc.)

Adam
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth has done more of these than I do so maybe he'll have some input.

But I'm pretty sure when you stack the only thing it inherits is the layer 3 routing.  I believe the rest of your port configs stay the same but I also make sure to do this in a maint window as to not interrupt stuff. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If both switches are in layer 2 mode, you can add it to the stack and the configs will be kept.

From memory, if one of the switches in operating in layer 3 mode the stack will ask you which config you want to keep, and the other switch will loose its layer 3 config.  The layer 2 config is retained.

The switch stack is in Layer-3 mode

The switch I want to add to it is in layer-2 mode, but of course has a uplink/management IP address, and is registered with the cloud.

Will it lose its IP address? --I am worried about it dropping out of the cloud

No, each switch will keep the own IP-address.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels