Active ports on MS225-24 switch

Ash_kale
Conversationalist

Active ports on MS225-24 switch

Hi Team,

I got a query from customer , where they are asking to get a license to activate rest of the ports on MS225-24 switch. They claim that it came only with 8 active ports. I am sure that these swithces come with all active ports , however customer is getting following message which shows they might need license for the ports.

switch1# show interface fc1/9
fc1/9 is down (port activation license not available)
    Hardware is Fibre Channel, SFP is short wave laser w/o OFC (SN)
    Port WWN is 20:09:00:3a:9c:17:1c:a0
    Admin port mode is auto, trunk mode is on
    snmp link state traps are enabled

5 REPLIES 5
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @Ash_kale I'm not sure I understand.  There are no port licenses.  All ports are active on a switch regardless.  So in other words, there's no such license to "activate the rest of the ports" because ports are not individually licensed.  It's not like Meraki ships a 48-port switch but only activates the first 24 and requires another license to activate the rest, that would be very uncool.  😀 

And the output doesn't make sense - that is, there's no CLI and no way to run a "show interface" command on the MS225.  If they look at the Switch > Switch Ports page, they should see all 24 ports.  It's possible some might be disabled, like ports 9-24, but you can simply select them and click Edit and enable them. 

Let me know if I misunderstood the question. This output looks like it's from a fibre channel switch (or switch module) and perhaps THAT'S where they need a license key on the upstream switch?  And keep in mind the MS225 is an Ethernet switch of course, not FC, so they might need to update a universal port from FC to Ethernet if that's what they have.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that piece of hardwares license has expired. 

If you go to the following what does it report.

Organisation > Licensing

Aaron_Wilson
A model citizen

Sounds like the non-Meraki device connected to the Meraki needs licensing. Not the Meraki switch.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Some hints from the output indicates this is the output from a Fibre Channel switch, port 1/9.

Cisco Meraki don't make Fibre Channel switches.

Some Cisco Enterprise switches have port licences.

If you run "show inventory" it will tell you the model of switch (and it is not an MS225-24).  You can take this information to your favourite Cisco distributor (assuming you are a T2 reseller) and get a quote to licence up additional ports.

Indeed looks more like a Nexus series and nowhere near a Meraki device.

fyi, nexus 3524-X and 3548-X is the same 48 port switch hardware but just with only 24 ports enabled ( by license) in the 3524-X model.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels