Streaming via Cloud Proxy - should be on LAN

Solved
Dunky
Head in the Cloud

Streaming via Cloud Proxy - should be on LAN

I noticed this problem earlier today and have been doing some troubleshooting.

The symbol in the bottom left of streams indicates streaming via the cloud even when on the same LAN:

Dunky_0-1727439645515.png

I have put my laptop on the same subnet as the camera and still see the Cloud symbol.

I've done a packet trace on the switchport the camera is on with a filter expression of "host n.n.n.n", with n.n.n.n being my laptop address and no data is captured, so its deffo going via the cloud.

If I look in the Video Access menu that also says I viewed via cloud access.

Looks like something has gone wrong here as its at every site.

1 Accepted Solution
Dunky
Head in the Cloud

Hi @FeliA 

Thanks for the reply.

It was due to clients using internal DNS servers, I'm in the process of correcting as per the documentation here https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Physical_Installation/MV63_Installation_Guide#DNS_Configuration_...

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
FeliA
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @Dunky,

Is direct streaming on the LAN failing when testing with different browsers and/or different devices?

Here are a few additional things to check to help troubleshoot this issue;

• Ensure the client can reach/ping the private IP of the camera
  • Remove any ACLs blocking interVLAN or intraVLAN communication between the MV and client
  • Check and verify DNS resolution
    •   -If using custom or internal DNS servers, ensure '*.devices.meraki.direct' is allowed
  • Check that TCP port 443 traffic is allowed for the TLS handshake
  • Make sure cameras are running the latest stable MV firmware release

The following two documentations provide information and troubleshooting tips for direct streaming:
1. Cloud proxy vs. direct streaming
2. MV LAN Streaming Troubleshooting

If you continue to run into the LAN streaming issue, please feel free to open a case with Meraki Support to have an engineer review dashboard settings specific to your network. A support case can be opened in the dashboard by navigating to (?) help > Get Help & Cases > Pick a Tile to Contact Support > Submit a case or by following the steps provided in the Contact Cisco Meraki Support document here.

Best,
Feli

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If this answer helped solve the issue, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Dunky
Head in the Cloud

Hi @FeliA 

Thanks for the reply.

It was due to clients using internal DNS servers, I'm in the process of correcting as per the documentation here https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Physical_Installation/MV63_Installation_Guide#DNS_Configuration_...

FeliA
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @Dunky,
Awesome, glad to hear that the direct streaming issue was resolved!

Best, 

Feli

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If this answer helped solve the issue, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.