Smart Cameras - Bad Quality?

SOLVED
Kenny_Benzing
Here to help

Smart Cameras - Bad Quality?

I have had several issues with MV72 and MV72x cameras in the evening, when either just a little bit of moisture (or full fledged rain storm) during dark hours (cameras are set to auto activate IR) and it completely white-washes the image. It's like the camera focus messes up or the IR is too much and reflecting off of the water droplets. 

I don't know if there is a setting that needs to changed or if Meraki needs to make a "weather cap" that prevents water from reaching the dome.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Kenny_Benzing
Here to help

To anyone who is following, this issue seems to be resolved by disabling the "Infrared Illuminators Schedule" in the camera "Low Light Mode" settings.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I found this was pretty easily fixed using Rain-X - I'm sure there are other similar products out there, too:   https://rainx.co.uk/rain-x-products/rain-x-rain-repellent/

How often (if at all) do you have to re-apply it? we have several cameras that require a lift to gain access to them

EJN
A model citizen

Also check for proper clear cover seating. Depending on the angle of the lens and the cover install, sometimes it can affect the IR. More than likely this is not it, but worth checking as well as I had it happen to me where the IR was bouncing off the cover.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education

I don't believe that's the issue. If it's a clear night, it's not really a problem. I have only noticed in when it's rainy or the air is really humid.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Kenny_Benzing I am guessing for your cameras to be affected by rain they are mounted vertically?  Using the optional mount might give you a better picture in bad weather.

I'm not sure what you mean by mounted vertically. We are using the Meraki mount for the MV72 found here and I was under the impression that they are only designed for wall mounting?

What optional mount are you referring to? 

The attached image is a vertically mounted camera. The mount you linked to is optional, you don't have to purchase those mounts if you don't want / need to.

IMG_1076.JPG

Thank you for clarification. No, we do not have any cameras mounted that way. 

Kenny_Benzing
Here to help

To anyone who is following, this issue seems to be resolved by disabling the "Infrared Illuminators Schedule" in the camera "Low Light Mode" settings.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.