Questions re: installing MV72 on light poles in parking lot

SOLVED
JamesB1
Conversationalist

Questions re: installing MV72 on light poles in parking lot

Good morning,

We are in the process of installing 15 cameras in a parking lot light poles and have a couple of questions that I was hoping to get help with.

Specs on the installs:

1. Cameras: 8 x MV72 & 7 x MV72X
  2. Mounting hardware: 
    1. MA-MNT-MV-20 Bracket to mount to pole
    2. MA-MNT-MV-10 mounting arm
  3. All cameras will be mounted to new light poles being installed.
  4. These are light posts you would find in a mall or commercial parking lot.

Questions:

1. Is there a standard height these should be mounted? I understand minimum height should be out of vandal’s reach but is there a max height.  We have the ability to place the cameras wherever we want on the posts.  I’m looking for best practices
  2. Do we need to worry about when the lights on the posts are turned on that they will interfere with the cameras?  If so, should they be mounted in a different way or a covering to shield the camera from the lights?

If I missed a post on this I apologize in advance but I didn't find anything in my searches.

Thanks

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

1. There isn't really a standard height, as long as they are high enough so people cannot reach them but I would be careful to not put them to high otherwise it gets difficult to see peoples faces. 

2. As long as the camera is installed correctly and the light shines from above the camera you shouldn;t have any problems. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

1. There isn't really a standard height, as long as they are high enough so people cannot reach them but I would be careful to not put them to high otherwise it gets difficult to see peoples faces. 

2. As long as the camera is installed correctly and the light shines from above the camera you shouldn;t have any problems. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The closer the camera is too the subject it is observing the more detail you will get.

Consequently, you usually want the cameras to be as low as possible.

Also if you want to be able to read number plates you want the cameras to be as square on as possible, and not looking down from a great angle.

JamesB1
Conversationalist

Thanks for the advice.  Very helpful!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.