New IP assignment - MV Cameras

SOLVED
LeeVG
Here to help

New IP assignment - MV Cameras

Hey Everyone. I have been trying to organize my network to follow best practices since it's growing. When I initially deployed my MV cameras they were all in the same VLAN and pulled a DHCP address. Now I'm trying to go back and move all of them to a separate VLAN and assign static IPs. I cannot get them to release their original IP addresses and grab the new static one. 

I have tried rebooting, moving ports, etc. They just want to hold onto their original IP address. Any ideas on how to force the MV cameras to ask for a new IP address?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are the IP currently manually assigned or using DHCP?  If using DHCP when you reboot the device it should request a address upon startup and if you have correctly change the VLAN and its within a new DHCP scope then it should be getting a new address.

Likewise if you have changed the VLAN the camera is on and its now on a different subnet then technically it shouldn;t be communcating with the dashboard as its IP address won't be correct for that subnet.

I suspect you have miss configured your VLAN settings somewhere. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Just to confirm, you've moved the MVs to a new subnet and you're using DHCP reservations? In this new subnet are they now offline/unreachable? Are they wired or wirelessly connected to the network?

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are the IP currently manually assigned or using DHCP?  If using DHCP when you reboot the device it should request a address upon startup and if you have correctly change the VLAN and its within a new DHCP scope then it should be getting a new address.

Likewise if you have changed the VLAN the camera is on and its now on a different subnet then technically it shouldn;t be communcating with the dashboard as its IP address won't be correct for that subnet.

I suspect you have miss configured your VLAN settings somewhere. 

LeeVG
Here to help

I'm trying to figure out what is going on now. I have all my cameras plugged into a MS390 with port 1 as the uplink port to a MX250 (Port 3). Both are VLAN 1 and set as Trunk ports. My cameras were plugged into various ports on the MS390 that were all set to DHCP in VLAN1 also set as Trunk ports. I know thats not best practice. I just wanted to get all the cameras cabled and mounted so I figured I'd go back and change it later. I have VLAN 100 on my MX250 that is also set to DHCP. I changed ports 25-36 to VLAN100 access ports. I plugged a few cameras into the new VLAN 100 ports and there was some interesting behavior. 

First, the cameras were still reachable even though the port was VLAN 100 and the IP address of the camera was still showing as an IP in VLAN1. Then the dashboard shows my MS390 as being unreachable, but I could still access the cameras that were plugged into it. I'm trying to work through some of this now. Even when I unplug everything, reboot the switch, and only plug in the uplink port, the MS390 will just alternate lights and not connect. 

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Feel free to DM your dashboard URL and I can take a look. At this point we can only make guesses as to what's going on.

LeeVG
Here to help

Thanks for the support on this. It looks like it may have been my impatience. I unplugged everything, changed all the ports, rebooted the switch, and then plugged all the cameras back in one by one and I got the outcome I needed. I am still having some interesting VLAN challenges but I suspect its my general knowledge of how VLANs work. Again, appreciate the help! 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.