Need an easy access for users to the camera

redsector
Head in the Cloud

Need an easy access for users to the camera

Hello,

I am used to Meraki but new in video cameras, need an easy access for users to the camera.

A few users should get an quick view to an camera we plan to install at an gate.

Users shouldn´t be bothered with an complicated log in (we have 2FA for the dashboard and auto logg off after a while for normal dashboard users) and camera choosing circumstances and hopping through menues.

They need a quick view to the gate to decide to open the gate or not. The best would be an direct link to the camera with auto log on.

So it could be that Meraki is not the best coice for this case?

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You have a number of options here, all around using the RTSP feature and having a dedicated screen.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Advanced_Configuration/External_RTSP 

The cheapest option is to use a raspberry pi running VLC on boot.  VLC connects to the camera to get the RTSP feed and displays it on the monitor via its HDMI port.

The next cheapest option is an Axis Decoder T8705.

https://www.axis.com/products/axis-t8705-video-decoder 

It's a little black block that does the same as the Raspberry Pi.  Maybe triple the price, but you just plug it in.  Connect screen via HDMI.  Has a web interface to setup.  Set and forget easy.  Supports multiple cameras.  A nice solution all around.

After that, you could probably use VLC on a little Windows box.  Same as the Raspberry Pi solution, but needs something that runs Windows.  I would use an i5 or better.

If you can, I would try and get a 1440p monitor.  Especially if you are using an MV72X.  Note that the Axis 8705 can only do 1080p (not that 1080p is bad ...), so if you are using a 1440p camera like the MV72X you'll actually have to turn the quality down to 1080p to make it work.

Iis this can be done per camera only? Is there a way to do this for a camera dashboard?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe the Axis can be configured to display up to 16 cameras.

Could you provide step-by-step instructions how to configure Axis  Decoder T8705 to pull camera feed via RTSP?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I guess the other option is they use VLC and RTSP on their desktop (if they have one), and you create a desktop shortcut.  They then just double click on it when they want to see the camera.

redsector
Head in the Cloud

I heard that I can use VLC player to connect directly to an Meraki camera. So I can put a link icon on the desktop and the user can double click on this icon and has instant access to the camera.

Is that plausible?

no as it would require a PC and users to login into a PC in order to lahnch VLC. This does not work for us as security guard who monitors cameras is not an employee and does not have an account on any of our systems.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.