Motion alerts - Detecting rain and sending 500+ emails in one single night

SOLVED
SCC
Building a reputation

Motion alerts - Detecting rain and sending 500+ emails in one single night

Hi All,

I am having issue with setting up a motion alerts for my MV72 outdoor security cameras. As per my configuration I have a schedule from 5pm to 6am in the morning, if there is any people detection send the motion alerts.

Also, I have increased the Minimum event duration for trigger to 30seconds and Dropped Motion sensitivity for trigger to 50% but still for some reason. I am getting so many unnecessary alerts when there is a rain. I opened the support case as well with Meraki TAC and asked them the question why I am getting the alerts for rain when I have enabled the people detection. What Meraki TAC has told me that people detection is still in BETA.

Please let me know if someone can help me on this, so that we get the genuine alerts only after hours if there is a real people or vehicle movement as per my area of interest configured in the settings.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Don't use area of interest, but do have two privacy filters turned on, as was getting trigger by sunlight reflecting off two surfaces triggering the system.

People detection is disabled.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I haven't had that issue.  We use the latest beta firmware.

SCC
Building a reputation

@PhilipDAth 

Then what i am doing different here. I am also using the latest BETA firmware. We are getting lots of unwanted alerts when there is a RAIN.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Let me have more of a play.  We use schedules as well, but perhaps we've been lucky.

SCC
Building a reputation

@PhilipDAth 

Can you please let me know how much is your minimum event duration for trigger and Motion sensitivity for trigger.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

5s and 75%.  I used 75% because I basically don't want an alert unless there really is motion.

SCC
Building a reputation

@PhilipDAth 

and do you have people detection and Area of Interest enabled ?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Don't use area of interest, but do have two privacy filters turned on, as was getting trigger by sunlight reflecting off two surfaces triggering the system.

People detection is disabled.

SCC
Building a reputation

I have attached two screenshots - One people detection enabled and one people detection is disabled.

As you see when I enable the people detection my lots of unwanted alerts get dropped.

Is this not the right approach...However, in my case rain or strong wind is also generating motion alerts.

NOTE: Minimum event duration is 10seconds and Motion sensitivity for trigger 75%

SCC_0-1621907400429.png

SCC_1-1621907424594.png

SCC
Building a reputation

I was getting lots of false alerts for the movement like spider or moth movement near the camera lense even with the 5s and 75% 

Hence, Now I have enabled the people detection. So far no false alert.

I will monitor further, but I am sure as soon as there will be a rain I will get again so many false alert. it will be interesting to watch and monitor now what happens.

SCC
Building a reputation

Thanks All, After reducing the interested area its looking better now. Thanks

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.