MV32 CAMERA GETS TOO HOT

Solved
Hiciano
Here to help

MV32 CAMERA GETS TOO HOT

Hello everyone.

Just wondering if anybody has had temperature issues with this camera.

Mine just got a bit too hot after being connected for only 1 hour.

Note: I'm not using a Meraki switch. 

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

MV cameras will feel hotter than any other camera you will have previously used due to the computational power in each camera. However, the cameras are designed to run like this, and they have a special heat dissipating metal exoskeleton inside the case which goes around the bottom, sides, and top of the PCB. This is why it feels warm as the heat management is doing its job of moving the heat out of the CPU and other components. 

The mounting plate locks into this metal exoskeleton and helps dissipate the heat out of the camera body into the surface it is mounted to.

image.png

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I haven't noticed any temperature issues with the ones I have deployed.

Where is the camera deployed, is the environment its in warm? 

What type of surface is it mounted against i.e. is it a smooth hard surface or soft fabric type surface? 

All the ones I have done so far have been on the end of poles (maximise 360 effect).  So I guess lots of airflow available around them.

I tested in my office where we have an air conditioner.

surface was flat and hard.

EJN
A model citizen

Is the camera online/working OK and gets hot, or is it hot and not fully online? I ask because the 2 hot cameras I've had were unable to go online, so they were defective and replaced under warranty.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education

It went online after a couple of tries.

Did not get a good video feed, though.

Will do more extensive testing tonight.

When you say too hot, how are you quantifying too hot? Cameras get warm to the touch under normal operating conditions.

Additionally, what is the ambient air temperature? How do you have the camera mounted? The cameras must have their mounting plate installed for effective thermal dissipation. 

Too hot as in first time this hot for a camera, and I've tried many.

Ambient temperature is around 72F but it's not mounted on its plate which might be the issue.

Thanks for the info.

MV cameras will feel hotter than any other camera you will have previously used due to the computational power in each camera. However, the cameras are designed to run like this, and they have a special heat dissipating metal exoskeleton inside the case which goes around the bottom, sides, and top of the PCB. This is why it feels warm as the heat management is doing its job of moving the heat out of the CPU and other components. 

The mounting plate locks into this metal exoskeleton and helps dissipate the heat out of the camera body into the surface it is mounted to.

image.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.