MV12 Playback and Recording Issue

SOLVED
Adam
Kind of a big deal

MV12 Playback and Recording Issue

Hello Community,

I've had a strange issue with one of my MV12's that I wanted to report here so some of you could check your environments.  One of our MV12's is choppy when watching live.  People will disappear because of the lag in the live view.  When I go to the playback/recording to see if it was just an issue with viewing live it has the same problem.  When I try to export the video to see if I can get the full scene it only exports the title slide.  So far this only appears to be impacting one of my MV12's.  The others appear fine.  But you may want to spot check some of yours because this would be one of those subtle things that could cause a big headache when you need footage.  My assumption is that the camera has failing storage but we'll see what support comes up with. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Support loaded beta firmware 3.10 for one of my networks with MV12's and it appears to have resolved the issues with audio recording, choppy video and exporting.  

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Correction, the severity of this may be escalated.  One of my other MV12's has had the issue on a different day so this could be a larger issue.  

RyanPinheiro
Here to help

I am experiencing this issue as well.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

I haven't noticed this on either of the MV12's I'm testing (a W & N). Are you on 3.4 firmware?

MRCUR | CMNO #12

Yes, camera is on 3.4

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Mine are at 3.4 as well.  It is somewhat subtle @MRCUR.  Watch some live footage and see if you have any choppiness where people walking through the scene either disappear or appear to skip frames.  I'd also recommend trying some exports to make sure they work on your MV12's.  

Also may be worth comparing what settings you've enabled on your MV12's.  I have:

When should this camera record footage: Always

Enable motion-based retention: Yes

When camera delete footage: When it runs out of storage space

Video Resolution: 720p

Video Quality: Enhanced

Record Audio: Yes

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

I just upgraded to MV 3.5. I'll see if I notice anything tomorrow. The HDR issues are called out as being resolved. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Adam
Kind of a big deal

I rebooted the cameras and it has helped.  No more choppiness or export issues.  But is this a temporary workaround or a fix?  I now worry that I'm going to have to babysit these cameras and periodically check on them to see if they need a reboot?

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

On MV 3.5 firmware, playback is now quite smooth but the "Show people" button doesn't seem to work. It keeps telling me that I need to look at stored video to use it despite showing stored video already. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

I've been messing around with an MV12W & 12N on 3.5 a bit more. I've only noticed one time where playback hung. Refreshing the page resolved it (and this is even over cloud proxied video). @Adam are you seeing the issues on both cloud proxied playboy & local or just one? 

What I am noticing is that people detection vastly underestimates the number of people present during very busy and crowded times. One camera is estimating a peak occupancy of 43 people even though there are probably over 100 in the frame. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Adam
Kind of a big deal

In my case I noticed it via LAN/Local streaming.  I was also having issues with the export that gave me indication that it was not an internet connection problem.  Support confirmed the intermittent issue on MV12's with audio enabled.  @MRCUR

The baby sitting of the cameras is becoming incredible frustrating.  We have lost 4 events so far this week and I don't see any fix

Adam
Kind of a big deal

@RyanPinheiro I've been told you can turn the audio off on them for now to avoid the issue until they have a fix.  Assuming the audio isn't critical to your operation.  I'm testing it. 

Turning off audio has fixed the issue of exporting and choppy playback; however, a big draw to this camera was builtin audio. 😕

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Same for us.  Disabling audio has resolved the choppiness and export issues but I installed my 3 cameras and replaced some nest cameras specifically for audio.  So I hope to hear more from support soon.  

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

MV 3.6 firmware is available with additional MV12 fixes. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Adam
Kind of a big deal

@MRCUR wrote:

MV 3.6 firmware is available with additional MV12 fixes. 

I'll give it a look, please post here if anyone tests or notices a fix for the issue outlined in this thread. 

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Hrm I'm not seeing an option for 3.6 in my networks?  Only 3.4 still.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@Adam It's still a "beta" release so you probably need betas enabled on the network or ask Support to apply it. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Just disabled the 'Try Beta', I'll wait a few and see if it shows up.  Thanks @MRCUR

Adam
Kind of a big deal

I was able to apply the 3.6 update and it didn't resolve the issue. With audio enabled it still had choppy recording and causes export issues. 

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Support loaded beta firmware 3.10 for one of my networks with MV12's and it appears to have resolved the issues with audio recording, choppy video and exporting.  

RyanPinheiro
Here to help

Message from my ticket:

This seems to be related to a known issue in which our engineer team is currently working

Temporarily when the MV enters this odd state a reboot is needed to force it to go back to the right behavior

Best,
Pedro Playan Escribano
Cisco Meraki Support

MatthewM
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello Meraki MV Community,

We have a known issue currently affecting audio on MV12 and our aim is to provide an update that resolves this very shortly. MV Engineering is working on a solution and will roll out a fix to all MV12 customers once tested and confirmed.

If you observe this behavior, please raise a case with Support so you can be notified the moment it is ready. In the interim, you can either restart the camera if you see it in this state or you can disable audio.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.