Looking for recommendations on quantity/placement of cameras for outdoor (covered) sports court

SOLVED
EJN
A model citizen

Looking for recommendations on quantity/placement of cameras for outdoor (covered) sports court

K-8 school in South Florida

Currently 3 cameras on the south side of the court. Well protected from weather. Two are MV72, one is MV22.

See attached photos for issues and ideas.

Options I'm exploring:

1) Add 3 more MV22 or MV72 on north wall (and adjust all 6 cameras to cover half court distance +/-).

2) And/or add a 360 MV22 in the center of the court (to help with dead zones). Concern about how to install and exposure to hits from basket/volley balls.

3) Add MV12 narrow or wide model (however many needed) and repurpose the 3 that I have now on the south wall.

Thanks for any insight.

Screenshot 2021-04-30 214215.jpgScreenshot 2021-04-30 214102.jpg

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The quality of the MV32 image means it is only suitable for seeing where people walk - but not for getting a good picture of their face (in case an incident occurs).  I often use the "good" cameras on an entrance to get the "money" shot, and then use an MV32 just to track where they go.

In your case - I don't think you'll gain anything from using an MV32.  I'll let you decide based on my comments.

The MV72X has tremendously better image quality than the MV72.  I would be tempted on an MV72X in each corner.

HOWEVER, I would get one of each camera you are interested in on trial, and try them out to see (that's what I do with my customers).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Oakley
Here to help

Overall I think the deployment of the MV32 in the center could be a issue as the elements could cause the camera to fail as its not weather resistant. If you could protect the camera from rain I think it would work great for your deployment.

You may consider placing 5 cameras in total, 3 on the north wall, 1 on the East, and then an additional camera on the West.

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

Have a look at https://meraki.cisco.com/public/mv-site-survey/index.html

Perhaps, it could help you estimate the amount of MVs needed.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@EJN why not just put an MV72 in each corner, the FoV extends beyond 90° in the horizontal plane so you shouldn't end up with any blackspots.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The quality of the MV32 image means it is only suitable for seeing where people walk - but not for getting a good picture of their face (in case an incident occurs).  I often use the "good" cameras on an entrance to get the "money" shot, and then use an MV32 just to track where they go.

In your case - I don't think you'll gain anything from using an MV32.  I'll let you decide based on my comments.

The MV72X has tremendously better image quality than the MV72.  I would be tempted on an MV72X in each corner.

HOWEVER, I would get one of each camera you are interested in on trial, and try them out to see (that's what I do with my customers).

I agree with @cmr  one camera in each corner should do the trick. I would be weary of using indoor rated cameras outside.

EJN
A model citizen

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm going to test the MV12N, MV12W, and MV72X, one in each corner, and go from there. Install is relatively easy, so I can install/swap/move as needed.

Agree on MV32 (360), which will give me a good all around, but not a good close-up view anywhere due to distance and height.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm betting on the MV72X.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.