LLDP

EJN
A model citizen

LLDP

In the camera table view, in the LLDP column, does it matter what device I see? In some cases I see a switch, in others a nearby IP phone, and in others another Meraki camera. I'm not familiar with LLDP; any insight is appreciated.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
5 REPLIES 5
Nash
Kind of a big deal

LLDP basically gives you information about other devices on the same lan segment. It's not always enabled or supported on network equipment. You may also see LLDP information about devices that don't connect directly to whatever you're looking at. 

So if you don't see LLDP info? It may just mean that whatever your camera is connected to, LLDP is disabled or not supported.

If you see multiple devices? Then your device is getting LLDP responses from a number of devices, possibly due to a misconfiguration somewhere along the way between your camera and the random other device.

EJN
A model citizen

Thank you for the info @Nash 

I only see one device per camera, but the devices vary from camera to camera.

Some cameras show another camera. Others show a switch. Others show an IP Phone. All show a device, and only one device per camera in the LLDP field.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
Nash
Kind of a big deal

That sounds to me like it's just showing whatever LLDP neighbor it's finding, or whatever neighbor it finds first.

@EJN  You shouldn't be seeing other client devices listed in LLDP only upstream switches / gateways. 

What does your network topology look like? Or more specifically, what's upstream from the switches?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.