Cloud Archive Bandwidth / Data Use

SOLVED
NickHorton
Conversationalist

Cloud Archive Bandwidth / Data Use

Hi there, 

We are looking to run a number of MV72s  / MV22s CCTV cameras across a Cellular Network. This is because there is great 4G coverage, but the build cost of a Fibre / Copper network makes it impossible to build a fixed network.

I've read on here that a CCTV camera backing up to Meraki Cloud Archive uses on average 1Mbps. Extrapolating this, it looks like it will be approx 320GB per month per camera of data usage across the 4g network. (and with 4 cameras on site this adds up). 

Can someone comment as to if this makes sense? As if so, I need to find a 4G plan that can accommodate approx. 1.2TB a month, which could be quite interesting.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts that you have. 

Cheers 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@NickHortonit will be between 0.5Mbps and 8Mbps with it being above 1Mbps unless you turn it down to the lowest quality (720p) or frame rate (8 fps), see below for an MV72X:

cmr_0-1614553540365.png

cmr_3-1614553800071.png

cmr_2-1614553763624.png

cmr_1-1614553677037.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you *really* need to use cloud archive?

Also, you are going to need a 4G connection that can sustain 4Mb/s up, 24x7.  I would not be confident of getting that.  And then if you actually look at any of the cameras, that is going to use even more bandwidth.

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your reply. The reason that we believe we need Cloud Backup is that the cameras are used to provide security in an outside / remote location.

One of the practices that we've seen in the area, is people attacking cameras before committing vandalism etc. The intent is that with cloud archive, we will still have an image of the vandal even if they destroy the camera / remove it from the network etc. We would therefore only need it for 12 hours per day, I wonder if you can schedule cloud archive on and of at different times. 

With your comment re 4Mbps, is this per camera, or multiplied across all of the cameras I need? As I'm still trying to confirm that 1Mbps is the requirement per camera. 

The speed of 4G in NZ is pretty good, in all of the speed test, we are getting 30+ Mbps up consistently, and 110 down.

Re balanced MG21's, I like that and will investigate. 

I also love the idea of Starlink, but we aren't due to get that until later in the year.

Cheers

This is the datasheet for cloud archive.

https://meraki.cisco.com/product-collateral/mv-cloud-archive-datasheet/?file 

It says you need a minimum of 1Mb/s of bandwidth per camera.  I can't remember.  I expect this will be related to the recording quality you select.  I'm thinking 1Mb/s would be for one of the lower quality settings.

I have almost half a dozen customers who have put in their Starlink orders (in New Zealand) now.   The sooner you sign up the sooner you'll get it ...

What about using motion alerts with a schedule?  Have the cameras email movement to an email address when no one should be on-site?  Then you are only exporting stills, and only when there is movement.  The bandwidth requirements would be significantly less.

We use this approach in our office for security purposes.

PhilipDAth_0-1614540856695.png

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@NickHortonit will be between 0.5Mbps and 8Mbps with it being above 1Mbps unless you turn it down to the lowest quality (720p) or frame rate (8 fps), see below for an MV72X:

cmr_0-1614553540365.png

cmr_3-1614553800071.png

cmr_2-1614553763624.png

cmr_1-1614553677037.png

Hi Philip,

I really appreciate your suggestion re motion alerts. I've set it up, and generally I think that it is quite good. 

My concern is that some of the images I receive don't clearly show enough information.

As the image comes through with a time lapse, at times the identifying details can be overlapped. Do you know if there is a way to have a single still image sent through (or a series?) as opposed to the merged image?

Thanks in advance

Nick 

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@NickHorton I believe what you are referring to is what Meraki have called ‘Motion Recap’, where it blends frame together to show the motion.

You should be able to disable this on the Motion Alerts page under the Camera Settings.

910E0214-6C1B-40BF-B42F-8A290527CBC7.jpeg

NickHorton
Conversationalist

Hi Bruce, 

Thanks for this. That disables the Motion Recap, however I was just hoping for a way to receive a series of images, or a single image (as opposed to the blended one). The setting you've suggested to disable stops any images coming through. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

The only way I could think of doing that is to get creative with a script and an API, and see what can be done there. Something along the lines of alerting via a Webhook on movement, then have a script to a trigger a number of snapshots on the camera, that you then post somewhere. It’s a basic outline, but should be achievable.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you use an MX68 connected to a pair of MG21s, and let it load balance across them, you would probably only need a pair of 600GB plans.

Have you considered using Starlink?  Their plans include unlimited data ...

Perhaps you could use both 4G and Starlink to try and cover your bases.

Greenberet
Head in the Cloud

I think a better option would be to get an NVR on site which supports RTSP.

The cameras will stream their image locally to the NVR which saves the video on disk.

That way you won't have to worry about internet bandwith or even outages and you have a backup of the video just in case if the camera gets damaged.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.