Best cable for MV21

SOLVED
Flembot
Here to help

Best cable for MV21

Hey, first time post in this forum!

The connection to one of our cameras was dropping in and out so I went to investigate. The cable looks very kinked so I took the camera, plugged directly into the switch and it is working fine. 

I can see that there isn't a lot of room for the cable and therefore it bends significantly in order to plug into the RJ45 port. 

IMG_4840.jpgIMG_4845.jpg

I intend to replace the cable - its a 2m cable that runs to cat6a surface mounted box so it shouldn't cause much hassle. 

My question is what is the best type of cable with flex protection that you guys would suggest I use in this instance? What should I look for?  

Because as you can see the way it was installed clearly wasn't very good. 

Must admit there isn't much room. 

Thanks in advance for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Larry_Woods
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You will want cables WITHOUT BOOTS to be the most effective honestly.  Cables with boots has some advantages but ultimately it makes the cable less flexible especially in smaller tight spaces (like you see in the back of a MV21) and has extra plastics/rubbers to help 'protect' the 8 strands in a Cat5/6/7 cable.  Here is a picture of what I mean when I say NO BOOTS.  

Larry_Woods_0-1661345805760.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

I don't have any experience with what cables are best for which scenarios, but I know it's possible to get flat cat6a cables. Perhaps that would be a better option?

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
Larry_Woods
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You will want cables WITHOUT BOOTS to be the most effective honestly.  Cables with boots has some advantages but ultimately it makes the cable less flexible especially in smaller tight spaces (like you see in the back of a MV21) and has extra plastics/rubbers to help 'protect' the 8 strands in a Cat5/6/7 cable.  Here is a picture of what I mean when I say NO BOOTS.  

Larry_Woods_0-1661345805760.png

Any good places to buy them from? 

They can be found just about anywhere.  Amazon sells them.  If you use or buy through cabling or electrical companies such as Accutech, Graybar, etc, will gladly sell you them.  You can also find them at Bestbuy/Walmart/Target stores (tho limited).  Just shop around for pricing.  I would keep the cabling type consistent if you can to avoid inconsistencies.  If you have Cat5E cabling, get the Cat5E patch cable.  If you have Cat6 cabling, get the Cat6 patch cable.  Stuff like that.  If you are unsure what you have, check the back of your wiring closet patch panels and look on the sheath of the cabling as it is terminated and it will tell you the type on there.  It isn't the end of the world if they do not match as I have not seen issues while working on the field but I seem to always like to keep thigns consistent.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Flembot  right angled patch leads are also a thing so maybe have a look and see if thats a suitable option. As for places to buy i have no idea where you are from so can't really help with that.

KRobert
Head in the Cloud

Monoprice has some great options for this scenario!

The Monoprice Micro SlimRun cables:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39085

Monoprice SlimRun Cat6A 90 Degree

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31017

CMNO, CCNA R+S
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.