sensors offline after moving network

Solved
Adrian4
A model citizen

sensors offline after moving network

Hello,

We have multiple sites all over the world. Each site has its own network in our portal. 

We have a CCTV network with all our cameras and a single sensor. The cameras and sensor are at different physical sites with different Meraki networks (all in the same WAN).

I recently started buying and deploying sensors at my local site to test them out. I put them in my sites network to begin with where they connected and worked just fine. There is a camera and a AP in the room, not sure which they use to connect.

I realised they would be better in the CCTV network so I could associated cameras, only need one profile etc so I moved them over and they looked ok, but I came back to check them later and apparently they have been offline for 4 hours - cant connect to network.

The sensor that was in the CCTV network originally is still fine. Its at another site to the ones I added but it has the same kind of setup - I thought maybe because I moved the sensors to a different network to the AP that was the problem but then that other sensor seems fine and it is in the same situation. 

I guess because at least the camera is in the same network they are ok?

In any case - I factory reset the problem sensors and they still wont connect 😞

any ideas what is wrong?

1 Accepted Solution
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The Sensors were connected fine before moving them into the new network? Sensors need to be somewhat close to Gateways (AP or Cameras). Distance depends on the environment, but typically 50 ft or closer. If Gateways don't hear Sensors at -85 dBm or better they will not accept the traffic from the Sensor.

From what I can tell only one Sensor is connected right now and only seen by a single Camera. Two of the Cameras in that network are MV21s which don't have BLE radios to support Sensors. The other 3 gen2 Cameras don't see any Sensors.

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "Accept as Solution" so that others can benefit from it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The Sensors were connected fine before moving them into the new network? Sensors need to be somewhat close to Gateways (AP or Cameras). Distance depends on the environment, but typically 50 ft or closer. If Gateways don't hear Sensors at -85 dBm or better they will not accept the traffic from the Sensor.

From what I can tell only one Sensor is connected right now and only seen by a single Camera. Two of the Cameras in that network are MV21s which don't have BLE radios to support Sensors. The other 3 gen2 Cameras don't see any Sensors.

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "Accept as Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Adrian4
A model citizen

aah, the camera in the room is a MV21 so that'll be the issue then i guess. They were relying on the Wi-Fi and when we moved networks they lost it.

cheers!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.