Meraki MT sensors gateway problem

MartinS96
New here

Meraki MT sensors gateway problem

Hello,

I've an issue to which I haven't managed to find any solution anywhere so far.

We've two MV2 cameras, one MT10 and one MT14 sensor. I really need MT10 to use MV2 number one as its gateway and MT14 to use the second MV2 as a gateway, as the sensors are supposed to be placed on different floors and both of them simply can't reach the same camera at the same time.

The problem is, both sensors decided to use only one of the cameras as their gateway which simply causes the sensor on a different floor to disconnect all the time. I haven't found an option for changing the gateway for the sensors anywhere. How can I set this up manually, please?

Thank you. 

7 Replies 7
ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You cannot define which gateway an MT will use.

As per the MT Frequently Asked Questions KB, an RSSI of -85 or lower will result in the connection being rejected. So long as your MV2 is running MV 4.17+ firmware, nearby sensors should connect to it. I'd recommend running the latest stable (MV 5.3) to ensure you're not potentially hitting any resolved issues.

I'd advise opening a support case (or DM'ing me the case number if you have one already open) so additional troubleshooting can be carried out. 

MartinS96
New here

I'll try to update the cameras but my question is, how effective this could be considering, one sensor needs to be placed on the 1st floor and the other one on 3rd. I doubt there is any possibility the signal will reach that far anyway. I'm currently running on version 5.0. 

Depends on where the other MV2 is deployed, if the MV is in the same room/floor as the sensor in theory you shouldn't have any issues.

MV 5.1 contains: "Improved connectivity performance for MT sensors"

MV 5.2 contains: "Resolved an issue where MT connections can become unstable in dense environments"

The sensors are always right next to the cameras. For some reason, even after days of being connected and placed like this, both sensors decided to use only one camera as a gateway. Nonetheless, cameras have just finished updating to 5.3, so hopefully it solves my issue. I'll post an update soon.
Thank you.

You should also update the firmware on your Sensors to the current stable MT 1.5.

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are both cameras on the same Meraki network or are they in different networks? 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

My understanding (and hopefully, someone will correct me) is that the sensors use BLE.  They simply broadcast their info.  Every MV in range hears the broadcast.  The first MV to report in the info to the dashboard "wins".

That is why you can't select which device is the gateway.  They are all the gateway.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.