Alert Profile Emails and Texts

Solved
RJacklin
Just browsing

Alert Profile Emails and Texts

We just recently installed the MT14s and are powering them POE via USB-C to Ethernet. My email and phone are getting slammed with "Sensor stopped alerting:" notifications. 

Under Alert Profiles>Sensor Status Alerts, I have the boxes checked for "A sensor goes offline" and "USB power cable for MTs with batteries has disconnected or reconnected."  My hope was that I would NOT receive a notification unless someone unplugged the USB-C cable from the sensor, causing it to go offline, or I lost power to a switch, causing the sensors to go offline. However,  it seems like I'm getting a notification after each time it senses a change based on my settings in our Vape Detection Alert.

Am I not reading things correctly? Is there some other series of options I should be checking?

Thanks for the feedback!

Rob

1 Accepted Solution

Yes, you would want to adjust the alert profile config if you're getting too many alerts. With the config you have shared you would get an alert each time TVOC or PM2.5 are equal to or below "Poor". The metric/value for Poor can be found in the dashboard if you click on the Learn more link next to TVCO and PM2.5. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MT/MT_General_Articles/MT14_Metrics_Explained#PM2.5_(.CE.BCg.2Fm3)

The two common ways to lessen alert triggering is configure a time period the condition must be met for or change the alert value itself. Changing the time period will help if the threshold crossing is temporary/short lived. Or, changing the metric value as you mentioned will create lower or higher thresholds that need to be met in order to trigger the alert.

Everyone's environment is different so you need to test and adjust to suit your specific deployment. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

What condition/metric are these "Sensor stopped alerting" alerts tied to? When an alert threshold is passed (in either direction) it will alert. But I'm unclear from the above what condition is "stopped"?

OK, let me append my initial post. Just this morning I made the switch over from battery power to POE. I toggle the switch over to "high sampling mode."  Truthfully, I've been getting so many alerts in battery mode, that every time I saw the phrase "sensor stopped alert," I assumed it was because it went offline.

Now that I'm looking at it,  I'm seeing that the alerts are telling me when levels are rising and falling.

What we truly want is to know if/when we are above a certain level. Is that the distinction between the two check boxes for both TVOC and PM2.5?

Here are my current Alert conditions:

alert conditions.png

Here is the Alert I've been getting, but it may be because I have my thresholds set to be too sensitive. I'm getting them every 20 to 30 minutes.

meraki_falling.png

Thanks for responding. I'm new using the sensors and truthfully, I'm at the point where I want to find a smoker and a vapor and put in the bathrooms to see what changes happen and to what levels in real life, instead of just messing around with "guesstimates."

Yes, you would want to adjust the alert profile config if you're getting too many alerts. With the config you have shared you would get an alert each time TVOC or PM2.5 are equal to or below "Poor". The metric/value for Poor can be found in the dashboard if you click on the Learn more link next to TVCO and PM2.5. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MT/MT_General_Articles/MT14_Metrics_Explained#PM2.5_(.CE.BCg.2Fm3)

The two common ways to lessen alert triggering is configure a time period the condition must be met for or change the alert value itself. Changing the time period will help if the threshold crossing is temporary/short lived. Or, changing the metric value as you mentioned will create lower or higher thresholds that need to be met in order to trigger the alert.

Everyone's environment is different so you need to test and adjust to suit your specific deployment. 

Truthfully - I need to find someone with a vape pen and some cigarettes and just see what the environment looks like under these conditions. 🙂  Thanks for following up. It was helpful!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.