z1/z3 precise WAN Loss meaning

Solved
pcrequest
Here to help

z1/z3 precise WAN Loss meaning

Z1/Z3 > Teleworker Gateway > Appliance Status > Uplink > 

What does WAN loss at the bottom exactly mean?  Of course, it should mean if the ISP especially needs to complete a repair, and this has happened before, as expected.

But sometimes I'll show high loss like this:

pcrequest_0-1652895415848.png

MTR from Meraki Dashboard looks good.  I'll do a WinMTR from my workstation to the remote Z1 (3Mbps Centurylink DSL) and it looks perfect.  The site has a relatively slow DSL.  Can the Loss be from wifi at all or something other than WAN?   I wouldn't expect this, but I cannot explain the loss.  I've spoken to the DSL ISP many times and they remark all the stats look better than typical DSL connections. 

So can the WAN link actually be fine, and WAN Loss shows high because of another reason I can investigate?  Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It means sometimes some pings are not making it back to your mx. Most devices drop ping first when there is congestion on the line.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/Packet-Loss-on-uplink-WAN/m-p/95852#M24086

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It means sometimes some pings are not making it back to your mx. Most devices drop ping first when there is congestion on the line.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/Packet-Loss-on-uplink-WAN/m-p/95852#M24086

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As ping drops towards 8.8.8.8 can be anywhere on the internet, or even rate limiting of Google's server itself, I find it's more useful to have the ISP's next hop as an IP address to monitor.

You'll get more value out of the loss and latency graphs and it becomes clearer when your ISP is encountering an issue

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels