warm spare with only 1 public Ip

SOLVED
Mr-cook
Here to help

warm spare with only 1 public Ip

Hi,

I have 2 MX100 in a /30 network (facing internet ) with only one public Ip.

Should I :

Use MX uplink IPs or Use virtual uplink IPs ?

and in each case what Ip should I give to WAN interface of each MX ?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi @Mr-cook 

I am afraid this is going be a challenge.

We will not be able to establish warm spare with a /30 IP Pool unless we keep a NAT Router before the MXes.

Ideally we request for a /29 IP Pool to ISP for such configuration.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi @Mr-cook 

I am afraid this is going be a challenge.

We will not be able to establish warm spare with a /30 IP Pool unless we keep a NAT Router before the MXes.

Ideally we request for a /29 IP Pool to ISP for such configuration.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Just to add to @AjitKumar 's reply, each MX must have its own unique IP address to maintain a connection to the Meraki cloud. They cannot share one IP for this function. 

Is this possible using 2x/30s? 2 different ISPs?

I cant seem to find any implementation example that depicts the setup.

Unfortunately we cannot afford to change Public IP addresses at the moment and will have to stick to /30s.

We have 2x /30s and I am thinking of connecting ISP1 to Primary MX and ISP2 to Spare MX.

Would that work?

I also have a question regarding the IPSec VPN. We have an IPSec VPN with Azure terminating on Primary MX via the ISP1 and a remote access VPN terminating via ISP1 as well.

We would need to configure the same settings for ISP2 on both the Spare MX and the Azure end? Yes?

Any direction in this regard would be appreciated.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@ObaidN, you can definitely terminate ISP1 on Primary MX and ISP 2 on Standby MX, but be aware that you will only be able to use the ISP service which is on the Active MX (normally the Primary MX). If the ISP1 service fails the Primary MX will detect that and hand over operations (via VRRP) to the Standby MX, at which time ISP2 will become your active link.

You can either connect both services to WAN1 on their respective MX devices if they are a similar bandwidth, or if they are different bandwidths you can connect to WAN1 on Primary MX, and WAN2 on Secondary MX, which will allow you to specify the different bandwidths (but still only one will be active at a time).

The other alternative is you put a small device between each ISP service and the MXs to 'split' the services. Something like a MikroTik hEX might do the job (depending on bandwidth). All you essentially need it to do it terminate the ISP connection and NAT it, and connect to both WAN1s on the two MXs and provide a /30 private IP address range to each (and repeat for the second ISP and the WAN2 on each MX).

It would be a bit like an MG21 but replacing the 4G/LTE modem with an Ethernet interface <-- hint to the Meraki product team guys and gals.

Thank you @Bruce . Yes I am aware that I would only be able to use 1x ISP as active. 

Nash
Kind of a big deal

If you can get a /29, that's also nice for troubleshooting. Gives you spare IPs for connecting other equipment.

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Can't stand when providers do a /30 on business circuits.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels