swapping two Meraki-Firewalls between networks

Solved
tetranet
Conversationalist

swapping two Meraki-Firewalls between networks

Hi Community,

in my dashboard, I have created two different networks. One has a Meraki MX75 attached to it, the other one a Meraki MX250. Both networks are already fully configured with VLANs, firewall-rules and so on.

On both firewalls there are just two ports in use, on for the Internet-uplink and one for a VLAN-trunk to connect to the internal switch.

Due to a miscommunication, I will have to swap the firewalls betwenn the networks, so the MX75 should serve as the firewall in the networks were now is MX250 is attached to and ice versa.

Since these are two very different models I am unsure if this is possible, so the question is: Can I just remove the firewalls from their networks and add them to the other, or do I have to configure them anew?

Regards

Tobias

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can remove and add again if it's not in production. Just a note:

Port numbering can differ between MX models, which can cause confusion when assigning a configuration to a specific port number in a template. For example, a configuration on LAN 2 in a template doesn't affect any ports on an MX65.

The table presented at Port Mapping for different MXs models outlines template port numbers and their corresponding physical port on some MX models.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can remove and add again if it's not in production. Just a note:

Port numbering can differ between MX models, which can cause confusion when assigning a configuration to a specific port number in a template. For example, a configuration on LAN 2 in a template doesn't affect any ports on an MX65.

The table presented at Port Mapping for different MXs models outlines template port numbers and their corresponding physical port on some MX models.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@tetranet yes you can move the devices between networks within the dashboard, if the configs are very different like you mentioned I would go the extra step of factory resetting the hardware as well so that when it boots up it pulls the correct config and has no trace of the old config on it. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels