mx67 upgrade to 14.39 bricked device?

SOLVED
Kyurick
Here to help

mx67 upgrade to 14.39 bricked device?

Hello there,

So, at 3AM eastern I had the upgrade to 14.39 set for one of my MXs.  It never came back to life:)  I had a user on site power cycle the device and try a hardware reset using the reset "button".  No dice.  I called support, explained what I did, troubleshoot-wise, and was told that I had gone through their scrip, which made me feel good about myself.  A new appliance is being RMA'd.  Luckily, I had a device was isn't schedule to be installed for a few months, so that helped a lot, because, without it, the site would've been down and out until tomorrow.

I'm just curious if anyone else had this same issue, or if I just had device that was sort of a ticking time bomb.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Kyurick I'd say something definitely failed with the device itself and an RMA is appropriate.  I've never bricked a device with a firmware upgrade and I'm probably up to a couple hundred times.  Meraki devices have a dual-partition NVRAM anyway, so even if you upgrade a firmware, the device is aware of the fact that firmware was just upgraded, and cannot subsequently reach the cloud, and after certain secondary techniques and timeouts, it can reboot and revert to the previous firmware of the backup partition.  Your case seems awfully coincidental I'd agree, but perhaps a coincidence nonetheless.  

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I've upgraded and downgraded several times (usually to test out new features) and never experienced any issues.

Thanks for the response!  I figured if it was something with this upgrade there would've been a multitude of it when you search for others who had the same experience.  I'm gonna take it that I'm just that lucky a person:)  

Thank you very much for you time!

Kyle 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have never had a device brick itself.

I have had issues in the past with switches needing to be touched by a human to get working again, but not with recent firmware.

Never had a device brick itself but I am currently working with support on my home MX as it isn't reliable with any firmware newer than version 12.24

I have upgraded and downgraded many times without issue. 

@Kyurick I'd say something definitely failed with the device itself and an RMA is appropriate.  I've never bricked a device with a firmware upgrade and I'm probably up to a couple hundred times.  Meraki devices have a dual-partition NVRAM anyway, so even if you upgrade a firmware, the device is aware of the fact that firmware was just upgraded, and cannot subsequently reach the cloud, and after certain secondary techniques and timeouts, it can reboot and revert to the previous firmware of the backup partition.  Your case seems awfully coincidental I'd agree, but perhaps a coincidence nonetheless.  

Thank you all very much for your input!  well, the RMA is to arrive this morning.  I pushed the update to another device at 3 AM this morning.  It worked exactly as expected.

I had a feeling that this wasn't due to the upgrade to this code and figured that it was a pure anomaly.

Thank you all very much!!! 

Glad we could help.

I had 2 recent incidents one was today. The first one was couple of months ago with my MS330 switch. It suddenly bricked and I end up doing RMA. The Second one was today, my MX84 had the same exact symptoms. We end up requesting RMA after we went through all the TS we can do. Now I have too many questions.. I don’t know why or what was the reason.luckly, I got an MX64w to use until I receive the RMA 

pkinnison
Here to help

You should look closely at the the Release Notes For 14.46....    There is a known issue with the MX67 and MX68 platform that is causing this kind of behaviour.    I am told it is fixed in this upcoming release and so far it appears to be fixed.         FYI,   I have bricked over a dozen MX68CW the same way.

I had a customer brick one.  Support was able to un-brick it.  The issue was related to NTP and time synchronisation.

salman
Just browsing

I had 2 recent incidents one was today. The first one was couple of months ago with my MS330 switch. It suddenly bricked and I end up doing RMA. The Second one was today, my MX84 had the same exact symptoms. We end up requesting RMA after we went through all the TS we can do. Now I have too many questions.. I don’t know why or what was the reason.luckly, I got an MX64w to use until I receive the RMA

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels