meraki warmspare

Vishal07
Here to help

meraki warmspare

Hi Team,

Can we configure Meraki Warmspare with single L2 Switch. Pfa diagram and let me know if its works or not.

Vishal07_1-1714923874374.png

11 Replies 11
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think you can, but i would use a trunk to the switches. 

If you lose for example the cable connection vlan 10 to the primary, it won't failover and you only have vlan20 connectivity left.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Warm Spare behaves better in port and access mode than with the trunk port.

I speak from experience, I have had several instabilities when using a trunk port.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

So you prefer the posibility of losing half your network over using trunk ports?

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is plain wrong.  Usually you only connect 1 cable downstream if you have 1 switch and 2 if you have a stack. or two main switches for fault tolerance.

The behavior is not different in an access port or a trunk port.  However there is one setting that must be avoided in most situations and that is the 'drop untagged traffic' settings since that effectively also drops STP BPDU's and can cause a loop.  So always use a native VLAN that is available on the switch side.

AMP
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

VRRP's will be communicated on both Vlan's. Warm spare is explained in this KB article and also gives sample topologies:
https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair#Failure...

Knowledge is power

So i can go with my topology and there's no challenge in it ?. What if one of the uplink and one Lan cable fails [example vlan 10] from primary Mx ?. Will it fails inspite of Secondary uplink active on Primary Mx

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Vlan 10 will fail. As long as the primary still has a active uplink and vlan20 lan link, there won't be a failover.

So it means for MX to be failover either both lan or Wan uplink should fail ?. Also if I configure trunk port of vlan 10 and 20 instead of access port, will it do failover if primary MX lan (trunk) port goes down with active Uplink ?

Any help people 

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Independent of your topology failovers will happen in two scenario's.
1) Both WAN's are down in the primary (in this case the primary MX will send a VRRP message that excludes the primary firewall as active forwarder).
2) The spare unit no longer gets any VRRP messages from the primary.  ( if the active firewall is still there then you will have an active active scenario with instability as effect ).

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels