'active' or 'ready'? WAN load balancing disabled but with flow pref

MartinS
Getting noticed

'active' or 'ready'? WAN load balancing disabled but with flow pref

Hi,

I'm seeing what I think is a bug, but one of my colleagues thinks is correct so I'm curious what the wider community thinks please?

Given I have a MX device which has two connected WAN interfaces (1 and 2)

and load balancing is disabled to prefer WAN 1

and I have a flow preference configured to prefer Internet traffic up WAN 2

When I look at the /organizations/:organizationId/appliance/uplink/statuses API endpoint

Then I'm seeing WAN1 as 'active' but WAN2 as 'ready'

My customer thinks this is correct as load balancing is disabled, but my reading of this page:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Appliance_Status/MX_Uplink_Settings

• Active - WAN interface is healthy and is currently being used to send client traffic.
  • Ready - WAN interface is not currently being used but is awaiting failover from the Primary uplink that is configured under Security & SD-WAN > Configure > SD-WAN & traffic shaping > Primary uplink. To configure an active-active load-balancing state, refer to our article on Load Balancing.

I think WAN2 should be 'active' as the flow preference is making WAN2 be 'used to send client traffic'

What does everyone else think please?

---
Product Director
Highlight - Service Assurance Platform
www.highlight.net
2 REPLIES 2
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The status is ready because of load balancing disabled. 

I would not call it a bug.

However i agree the naming and/ or description/documentation should be changed.

MartinS
Getting noticed

I can see what you mean, but to me it would seem a strange mix of an operational state and a configuration state? Maybe I'm a bit Cisco IOS old school in this regard, I like the world of admin up/down and operationally up/down

---
Product Director
Highlight - Service Assurance Platform
www.highlight.net
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels