Z3C not recognising SIM

SOLVED
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

Z3C not recognising SIM

The new Z3C is functioning as far as wired workstations and wireless devices are concerned.

I put in a data SIM earlier today, but the Z3C is not recognising it. EE, the MNO, tells me that the SIM is activated and that there is credit on the account. They also state that it should not need an APN, although some Meraki documentation suggests otherwise.

I don't think it is anything stupid I've done as far as the SIM is concerned, it is in in the correct orientation, despite the silly tray and flaky tray extraction tool.

Any suggestions? 

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@PhilipDAth wrote:

I hate to say it say it but you are going to need to try the SIM in another device like a phone.

Perhaps it has a SIM lock on it or something dumb like that.

@PhilipDAth 

As the actress said to the bishop "take care how you put it in" - job's right now.

Z3C SIM.jpg

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

1) Confirm is that it is a WW (Worldwide) model and not the NA (North American) model.

2) The device has been plugged into a WAN and is on the most up to date firmware

@SoCalRacer 

Thanks for responding.

1. Definitely a Z3C-WW model
  2. Firmware MX 14.39

I think a Meraki person is going to get an EE SIM from the shop around the corner. ;-[]

I hate to say it say it but you are going to need to try the SIM in another device like a phone.

@PhilipDAth wrote:

@PhilipDAth 

As the actress said to the bishop "take care how you put it in" - job's right now.

Z3C SIM.jpg

Oi, I take full credit for this image 😉

Glad you got it working Robin!

@ConnorL wrote:

Oi, I take full credit for this image 😉

Glad you got it working Robin!

Great picture!

I am curious to know how one switches from being connected via the WAN/Internet port to being connected via the internal LTE modem. At the moment, when disconnecting the WAN port the light on the front goes to solid red, and nothing happens. I did check that I still have a credit on the PAYG account and various combinations of powering off and unplugging WAN cable.

Whatever is happening, it isn't connecting. I have been reminded of what one of my farming friends said about non-functioning beast - "about as much use as a pink button on a male cow", which is a bit of a conundrum.

Hmm, it'll gracefully fail over the LTE as soon as it detects a loss of wired WAN connectivity.
Before you yank out the WAN link, is Dashboard reporting that the LTE modem is "Ready" ?

@ConnorL 

Before I disconnect the WAN cable, the LTE modem is showing 

STATUS       Ready, enabled

IP           10.204.13.136
TYPE         4G
STRENGTH     Excellent(-51 dBm)
PROVIDER     Ee
MODEL        PLS8-E

So that looks OK to me. I even checked that I still have a credit on the PAYG account.

I do recall that at some stage yesterday, something odd happened - 

I wanted to measure the speed/throughput differences between LTE and wired connections. I connected my phone to the Z3C WiFi and ran the Ookla Speedtest app (Android). I was briefly surprised as the App stated it was dual testing (WAN and LTE?) and for < 4 secs it showed a download of over 100 Mb - then it stopped.

Then just now, I wanted to connect the phone to see if I the Z3C would work with a WiFi client when the WAN cable was unplugged, and the phone would not connect, I checked the dashboard, all the SSIDs had been disabled. I don't know what is going on . . . :-[[

I can ping the IP address of the LTE from the dashboard - if that means anything.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Overviews_and_Specifications/Z3_and_Z3C_Overview_and_Specific...

Just something to note EE is not a tested carrier with the Z3C. I am pretty sure many people have been able to get it to work, but just noting it may not work out of the box.

@SoCalRacer 

You make a good point - 

That list of supported/tested carriers is "historic

Orange, Telia, Telecom Italia, Telefonica, Post, BT, STC, Telenor, SingTel

However, EE is the company formed to take over Orange and BT mobile operations in the UK (at least some of the Meraki staffers have EE), likewise O2 is the mobile arm of Telefonica and not mentioned yet I "know" their data SIMs will work.

The list needs updating, I suspect that both 3 and Vodafone will function correctly as well (but not betting).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels