Z3 - poor real time app performance

JF1
Getting noticed

Z3 - poor real time app performance

Hi

We have a number of Z3's across our estate.

These appliances are in locations where we have 1 or 2 users. Utilisation on the network is low, we generally see max 2/3mb usage.

We have noticed that when using real time conference software - Zoom and TEAMs, the audio quality and image is really poor, it lags, pixelates, there's a delay and often the session completely drops.

If we replace the Z3 with an MX68 the quality is far superior.

The challenge I have is that as these are small sites, with well under 100mb of traffic I hoped the Z3 would be sufficient, however there is definitely a drop in quality on real time apps when used.

The appliance are close to 8 years old, im guessing they are just no longer upto the job of modern day comms?

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Not sure what else to do other than plan to replace the Z3s?

4 Replies 4
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What firmware are they running, we have some home users with Z3s.  Are you operating them in full tunnel or split tunnel?

JF1
Getting noticed

Thanks for the response.

Firmware 18.107.2

We are using split tunnelling

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would try at least 18.107.9 as there were quote a few fixes and we aren't having the same issue, we use split tunnelling as well.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>We have noticed that when using real time conference software - Zoom and TEAMs, the audio quality and image is really poor,

I have seen this before a long time ago.  It was related to the firmware version.  I think there was an issue handling fragmented packets.

I agree with @cmr .  Go 18.107.9.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels