VRRP

Shubh3738
Getting noticed

VRRP

We are using 2 switch .

But According to TAC Support , There may be some issue with our connectivity that causing VRRP protocol to run smoothly.

Can someone help us with that with sharing simple diagram.

Shubh3738_0-1715684888308.png

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The Meraki support can help you.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

According to Cisco Support, they suggest to make connectivity as per attached snap.

Shubh3738_0-1715686576526.png

But, without placing switch above the MX , how i can achieve this

There is no router in placed from both isp'S.

There are several discussions explaining how VRRP works. See one of them.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/Does-Meraki-MX-Supported-LAN-VRRP/m-p/50047

"MX uses the VRRP, for sharing uplink health and connectivity status information between appliances.

VRRP heartbeats are sent across the LAN interfaces on each VLAN every second.

If no VRRP keepalives are heard by the secondary MX on any VLAN after three seconds, the dead timer will expire triggering a failover event."

The concept is explained neatly at the following Urls.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/NAT_HA_Failover_Behavior

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also take a look at this. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/MX_Layer_2_Functionality#Spanning_Tree_Prot...)

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This should be fine(for the wan side). Mx wan does not run vrrp.

What does your lan side looks like?

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I'm with @ww  - your diagram shows the WAN side only, as far as I can see.   That looks fine physically, provided the interfaces you are showing on the MXs are WAN not LAN.    The configuration of the upstream devices needs to ensure that both MXs on corresponding WAN interfaces can communicate with the ISP router;  i.e. ports 9 and 10 need to be in the same VLAN.  This is so both MXs are in the same subnet as the ISP router (and can potentially use a third IP in the same subnet as a Virtual IP between them)
You do need to explain how the LAN side is connected - that is the place where Support are telling you there are VRRP-related issues, I suspect.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That will work just fine.  I am assuming SW1 and SW2 are different layer 3 subnets (rather than a single layer 2 domain connected together back at the ISP).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.