Upgrading (replacing) an MX65W with an MX84

Activenets
Just browsing

Upgrading (replacing) an MX65W with an MX84

As I understand to upgrade all I need to do is remove the MX65w device from the network in the dashboard then add the new MX84 device I have already claimed to that network the MX65W was on, correct? I will also have to reenter the Site to Site VPN information on the MX84.  Since this upgrade is being done with two office locations, the same procedure would follow at both sites. Did I miss anything?

Now, once I delete the old MX85W device from the dashboard will I still have internet access to complete adding the new MX84?

4 REPLIES 4
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I’ve just completed the same process for my home lab. Replacing an MX68 with another MX device.

As you state, remove the old device from your Network and replace with the new.  You’ll have to preconfigure the new devices Internet port IP details (unless you’re assigning via DHCP).

Youll only lose internet connectivity during the process of physically swapping the devices over 

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MeredithW - can we move this into the Security and SD-WAN section please

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

@DarrenOC wrote:

@MeredithW - can we move this into the Security and SD-WAN section please

Done!

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here

I went to the initial login screen to the appliance and do see settings for the global IP address (static or DHCP) but nowhere to change the local IP address. I assume this is done after the device is added to the existing network, correct? 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels