Upgrading "brand new" MX67(C,W) and MX68(W,CW) appliances?

Solved
DQ-Cisco
Conversationalist

Upgrading "brand new" MX67(C,W) and MX68(W,CW) appliances?

The release notes for MX 14.50 states:

Due to issues still under investigation, upgrading brand new MX67(C,W) and MX68(W,CW) appliances to this firmware version will result in the device becoming inoperable.

Does this mean that customers who receive new MX67(C,W) and MX68(W,CW) devices should NOT upgrade to MX 14.50?

1 Accepted Solution

Greetings @Nash and @DQ-Cisco  ,

"Brand new" here means that the unit is new from the distribution center, or never unboxed, and never upgraded. The brand new units will come with an older firmware on it that has a risk of becoming inoperable if it is upgraded directly to the MX14-45 to MX14-50 RC firmwares. We recommended that networks upgrade the unit to MX14-40 GA first. Essentially, the recommended prerequisite for MX14-45 to MX14-50 RC versions is a MX14-40 GA base for these factory fresh units. We are working on a fix that will be sometime soon in the next MX14.5X version that will make this prerequisite not needed. If you follow this upgrade process, it is safe for these units to run MX14-50 RC.

As per any new firmware, please note any outstanding bugs that are still present in MX14-50 RC or whichever firmware you intend to upgrade to.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Nash
Kind of a big deal

I'd like to know what qualifies something as "brand new". Never been in production before? Coming from <unknown> firmware version? 

As it stands, I've advised my team to not upgrade to 14.50 unless advised by Meraki Support that it's required and should be safe. Sorry, Support.

Greetings @Nash and @DQ-Cisco  ,

"Brand new" here means that the unit is new from the distribution center, or never unboxed, and never upgraded. The brand new units will come with an older firmware on it that has a risk of becoming inoperable if it is upgraded directly to the MX14-45 to MX14-50 RC firmwares. We recommended that networks upgrade the unit to MX14-40 GA first. Essentially, the recommended prerequisite for MX14-45 to MX14-50 RC versions is a MX14-40 GA base for these factory fresh units. We are working on a fix that will be sometime soon in the next MX14.5X version that will make this prerequisite not needed. If you follow this upgrade process, it is safe for these units to run MX14-50 RC.

As per any new firmware, please note any outstanding bugs that are still present in MX14-50 RC or whichever firmware you intend to upgrade to.

Thanks - that is exactly the information I needed.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels