Just wondering if anyone has seen this before? If so, how did you get around it?
Under Network-wide > General on an MX device, I am trying to change the network name. I have done this many times before with no issues; this time however when editing the name to a more suitable name the dashboard appears to revert back to the original name, even after saving.
Appreciate the help/feedback.
Solved! Go to Solution.
@peterwarwick Are you trying to put any off charactors into the network name?
Illegal charactors shouldn't work as I've just tried to create a 💩 network as a test.
You dont have a network with the same new already?
No illegal characters. The network name reads as:
And, no - I don't have a network with the same name.
Thats is odd, I would say you will have to open a support ticket on that one. Something in the back end isn't working properly.
Agreed on checking with Support on that, I just tried it also and it worked perfectly: Went to view all networks page, clicked the edit pencil next to one of my networks and changed the name from "West Lab" to "West Lab Test" and clicked the check-mark to accept the new name, then clicked into that network and went to Network Wide > General and the network name immediately reflected the new name. Also changed it back a different way, I changed the name to something else on the Network Wide > General page, clicked Save, changes saved, then went to view all networks, again the new name was immediately reflected.
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll go to support with this one and see if they can advise of anything.
I'll keep you updated in case anyone else comes across this in the future.
However, you can create UTF-8 encoded SSIDs. Not all emoji will work, but a majority will. Just has to be less than 32 bytes. 👍 is 4 bytes long.
@peterwarwick I apologize my comment was a little bit off topic and was actually about to delete it. For changing the network name I would recommend reaching out to support by going to Help > Cases and explain the problem with a link to the network you're trying to change.
Precisely! It’s not time wasted as someone else will no doubt get caught on this.
Also its rather amusing really as none of us thought of something so simple!
I had Chrome changing the SSID password if I ever opened the Wireless / Access Control page. The edit box must have been labeled "password" in the HTML code, because it kept putting in my Meraki password.
I raised a support ticket to have then change the name of the edit box, and the problem has stopped occuring sometime after that.
When the problem was occuring, the site warned me that I had changes that needed to be saved every time I opened the page.