Unable to Access Network Shares from One Remote Location Over VPN

SOLVED
RangerZ
Here to help

Unable to Access Network Shares from One Remote Location Over VPN

I have a remote user (windows 10) who I have now sent 2 computers which exhibit the same issue when connected to his home network. 

They have no issues connecting over the VPN (MR34) to our network, but are unable to access network shares or connect to our RDP server. 

These computers both worked fine at the office and when tested from my home to the VPN.  We tested the new machine today using his phone as a hotspot and it connected to the network share.  We did not try to  run any business applications but could access files.  We then went back to the home network and again were able to login but unable to access the Network Shares.

Hopefully this makes some sense to someone smarter than me.  I feel like I am stuck in an Escher drawing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm going to guess the home network and the office subnet are the same.  If they are you need to change one of them.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm going to guess the home network and the office subnet are the same.  If they are you need to change one of them.

I have set the users home LAN to a new IP and he is able to now connect to the companies resources with no issue.

He is less happy about needing to freshen up all his home network devices, but he's making money again.

Thanks for the tip.

Hi,

If home subnet is 192.168.0.0/24 and office the same data subnet.

BUT, when customer connects with client vpn he gets, let's say, 192.168.100.0/24 (client vpn subnet)

How come it comes in conflict with office subnet ?

thanks,
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>How come it comes in conflict with office subnet ?

If the home and office subnet are the same, then the client machine will see a shorter path to the subnet via its local LAN and wont bother routing the traffic over the client VPN.

Ok

And when you say 'shorter', it's with some kind of metric ?

thanks,

@PhilipDAth @Jeizzen 

Jeizzens subets are different. He has ".0.0" and "100.0".  Probably a different issue

RangerZ,

home subnet and office subnet are the same 0.0

client vpn subnet is 100.0

My bad, mis read
AnythingHosted
Building a reputation

Is there a firewall rule preventing the VPN subnet from accessing the network shares?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels